Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (10)
26.32%
On the contrary, No (15)
39.47%
Abstain (13)
34.21%
This discussion is closed.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
V478 - British Olympic Team Renaming Bill, TSR Labour

British Olympic Team Renaming Bill

Preamble:
This Bill renames the British Olympic team to incorporate all constituent countries of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Change
(1) The British Olympic Team shall be renamed from: "Team GB and Northern Ireland" to "Team United Kingdom", and may be abbreviated to "Team UK".

2. Commencement, short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the British Olympic Team Renaming Act 2012.
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; and
(3) Shall come into force within six months after the 2012 Summer Olympic Games following Royal Assent.

NotesThe British Olympic Team name has been controversial for many people in Northern Ireland, especially those who align themselves with the Unionist parties as it somewhat alienates them from the rest of Britain. Northern Irish athletes are members of "Team GB" however the abbreviated name of the British Olympic Team has no inclusion of Northern Ireland whatsoever.
jesusandtequila
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What the BOA wish to call their team is not a matter for Parliament. It is a matter for the BOA, and all the controversy that comes with it is their fault and their problem.
TheCrackInTime
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. The name of our Olympic team is nothing to do with Parliament and this bill does nothing but impose political will onto an organisation that is supposed to be free from political influence. It is ridiculous that Labour have even brought this to a vote.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I wasn't limited for time, my response to this bill would be just one syllable stretched out over about 500 years.

"Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-*centuries*-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JPKC)
If I wasn't limited for time, my response to this bill would be just one syllable stretched out over about 500 years.

"Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-*centuries*-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"
Could've abstained if you don't care
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by davidmarsh01)
Could've abstained if you don't care
Yeah probably should've. If Mr Speaker sees this comment he can change my vote.
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Morgsie)
xx
Why vote no? You've given no opinion on this bill so far, so could you please explain why you voted no?
eff01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aye!
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aye, this Bill helps to normalise the naming of all who compete and represent under the British Flag. "Team GB" is somewhat bizarre as our country is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, abbreviated to UK.

This Bill also will have no detrimental economic impact, as if it's trying to overturn pre-printed merchandise before the games due to this coming into force well after this, current, Olympic games.
chiggy321
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not the place of Parliament to decide upon the name of our Olympic team - so no.
Ysolt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seems sensible.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chiggy321)
It's not the place of Parliament to decide upon the name of our Olympic team - so no.
So you don't think our Olympic Team's name should reflect the country it's representing?
RoryS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xXedixXx)
Aye, this Bill helps to normalise the naming of all who compete and represent under the British Flag. "Team GB" is somewhat bizarre as our country is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, abbreviated to UK.

This Bill also will have no detrimental economic impact, as if it's trying to overturn pre-printed merchandise before the games due to this coming into force well after this, current, Olympic games.
This.

Aye.
TheCrackInTime
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So you don't think our Olympic Team's name should reflect the country it's representing?
That's not what he said though, is it? He said it's not our place to name it and he's right.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheCrackInTime)
That's not what he said though, is it? He said it's not our place to name it and he's right.
o_0
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
o_0
I don't see why you struggle to see what's wrong with that argument. It's actually quite a good argument against this, that the decision on what to call our Olympic team is up to the BOA and not parliament. Personally I thought bugger that, this place is to express our opinions on stuff, and seeing as we don't have a model BOA, the MHoC will have to do.
chiggy321
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's not what I said at all, as has been very kindly pointed out. I am simply saying that it's not Parliament's place to change the name of our Olympic team - exactly as TheCrackInTime pointed out.
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chiggy321)
That's not what I said at all, as has been very kindly pointed out. I am simply saying that it's not Parliament's place to change the name of our Olympic team - exactly as TheCrackInTime pointed out.
I respect this opinion, but I thought "I want to put forward an opinion on this, and seeing as that's what this site is for (and there's not a model BOA, not that I'd be interested in joining one) so I'll let it go".
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by davidmarsh01)
I respect this opinion, but I thought "I want to put forward an opinion on this, and seeing as that's what this site is for (and there's not a model BOA, not that I'd be interested in joining one) so I'll let it go".
That's the way I also see it.

I would have thought that most of what we actually discuss in the MHoC isn't directly up the Government anyway. It would destroy most of the debate we have if we always take that attitude. Where's the harm in discussing it? Why vote no regardless of what your opinion on the matter is?
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's the way I also see it.

I would have thought that most of what we actually discuss in the MHoC isn't directly up the Government anyway. It would destroy most of the debate we have if we always take that attitude. Where's the harm in discussing it? Why vote no regardless of what your opinion on the matter is?
I can still understand those who take that viewpoint though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads