V468 - Restrictions of Trade Unions Activity Bill 2012 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (14)
36.84%
On the contrary, No (21)
55.26%
Abstain (3)
7.89%
This discussion is closed.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Please note this has changed between third reading and vote.

V468 - Restrictions of Trade Unions Activity Bill 2012, TSR Government

Restrictions of Trade Unions Activity Act 2012

An Act limiting the rights of trade unions.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Member Restriction
(1) It will no longer be legal for trade unions to recruit members under the age of 16
(2) All members must opt-in to union membership
(3) All members must opt-in to political party affiliation via union membership fees

2. Striking
(1) Businesses will now be allowed to discipline those employees who choose to strike for breach of contract with any appropriate measure
(2) Employers may not discriminate between strikers in terms of disciplinary action
(3) Strike ballots must achieve a minimum turnout of 50% of members along with a majority vote in favor of strike action (50%)
(4) Notification of strike action must be given a minimum of 90 days in advance
(5) All strikes not meeting the regulations set out in 2(3), 2(4) and 2(5) will be deemed illegal

3. Disclosure
(1) All unions must publish the number of registered members
(2) All unions affiliated with political parties must publish the number of members who have opted-in to affiliated membership

4. Statutory trade union immunity
(1) All statutory immunities from legal proceedings relating to interim injunctions and damages relating to breach of legal duty from tort of inducement, simple conspiracy and intimidation are hereby repealed

5. Exception
(1) If the 'right to strike' is inserted in the employment contract then Sections 2(1), 2(2) and section 4(1) do not apply

6. For the purposes of this act...
(1) Section 219 of the Trade Unions and Labour Relations (Consolidations) Act 1992 is hereby repealed.

7. Commencement, extent and short title
(1) This act will come into force immediately following royal assent
(2) This act will extend to all of the United Kingdom
(3) This act will be referred to as the 'Restrictions of Trade Unions Activity Act 2012'

Notes

Section 1 - This government also feels that trade unions should no longer be legally able to recruit members under the age of 16.

Section 2 - Whilst this government recognizes the benefits of collective bargaining we believe that with the enactment of B438, both employees and trade unions should no longer be protected by the law when taking strike action.

Section 3 - This government also seeks to create an environment of greater transparency regarding political party and strike affiliation.

Section 4 - By including section 4 this Act removes statutory immunity from trade unions so that they are both treated equally by law. Trade Unions are still able to launch strike action, but in doing so must be aware of the consequences of their actions.

Section 5 - Section 5 provides freedom from some measures upon agreement of employment contract clauses.

Trade Unions and labour relations (consolidations) act 1992 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/52/contents
B438 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1994338

Changes For Vote
(1) Formatting Change
(2) Addition of section 2(5)
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol, no.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Lol, yes.
jesusandtequila
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In order to have any basis for removing the legal protections around striking, you must also remove all the restrictions on it. No.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
NO WAY
Ysolt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No from me.
misterxninja
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And your alternative is... give them everything they demand and allow them to carry on holding the nation at gunpoint metaphysically speaking and having illegal strikes that members didn't ballot in enough numbers to legitimize. Come on something has to be done to curb them - Unionism in its current form and culture is unhelpful for the country and massively selfish, I liken it to a glorified protection racket.

All departments and sectors are going to have to equally shoulder this recession and deficit reduction plans. Everyone in society is effected by this deficit one way or another and is having to make hard but necessary decisions.

A massive Aye from me.
eff01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No
RoryS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A definite and unquestionable no from me.
username841677
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Voting No.

For the record relating to turnout, this is the first bill I've been capable of voting on since returning as an MP.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The noes have it! The noes have it!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed