What if I don't give my Firm my exam results? Watch

Limoncito
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My 1st choice uni has asked for my exam results. What if I don't reply because I want to attend my 2nd choice uni?
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Limoncito)
My 1st choice uni has asked for my exam results. What if I don't reply because I want to attend my 2nd choice uni?
Assuming you're not doing A levels or any other qualification where unis receive exam results automatically, your firm would reject you for failing to meet the conditions of your offer by the deadline for doing so, and assuming you met the conditions for your insurance choice it would become unconditional.
amyelizabeth2681
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want to attend your second choice uni, you have to call up your first choice and tell them to "release you" from their programme. (This is only if you've met your offer from your first choice. If you haven't, they'll just reject you and youll be allocated with your second choice uni anyway). Once that's done and it's changed on UCAS, your second choice will then become your firm
Limoncito
Rep:
?
Great, thanks for the replies, that's already done

Also, being a non-UK student, I've applied to SAAS for funding my 2nd choice and SFE for my 1st choice. Do I need to contact SFE and tell them that I won't be needing the loan or is their system smart enough not to fund students that aren't actually attending?
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amyelizabeth2681)
If you want to attend your second choice uni, you have to call up your first choice and tell them to "release you" from their programme. Once that's done and it's changed on UCAS, your second choice will then become your firm
Not necessarily.

If you try this before results day, first you need to contact your insurance choice and ask if they are happy to become your firm. It's entirely possible they'll say no. Then you contact your firm and arrange for them to become your insurance, and contact UCAS to let them know.

After you have results, if your firm has changed to unconditional because you've met the offer, being released from your firm puts you straight into Clearing and your insurance choice is gone.
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Limoncito)
Great, thanks for the replies, that's already done

Also, being a non-UK student, I've applied to SAAS for funding my 2nd choice and SFE for my 1st choice. Do I need to contact SFE and tell them that I won't be needing the loan or is their system smart enough not to fund students that aren't actually attending?
I'm not sure how clever their system is, but regardless, tell them to make sure their information is up to date :yes:
Limoncito
Rep:
?
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
I'm not sure how clever their system is, but regardless, tell them to make sure their information is up to date :yes:
Will do. Thanks for the help!
amyelizabeth2681
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not necessarily.

If you try this before results day, first you need to contact your insurance choice and ask if they are happy to become your firm. It's entirely possible they'll say no. Then you contact your firm and arrange for them to become your insurance, and contact UCAS to let them know.

After you have results, if your firm has changed to unconditional because you've met the offer, being released from your firm puts you straight into Clearing and your insurance choice is gone.
To be fair, I had to do this, but I did it on results day. There's probably no point doing it before then, just because you could end up in your insurance anyway. However, when I was released from the programmes I had to call my firm choice AND my insurance choice (I didn't want to go to either) because what I was told was that once I cancelled my firm choice, my insurance would automatically become my firm choice. However, this was during clearing so I'm not sure if the procedures the same before clearing.
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amyelizabeth2681)
To be fair, I had to do this, but I did it on results day. There's probably no point doing it before then, just because you could end up in your insurance anyway. However, when I was released from the programmes I had to call my firm choice AND my insurance choice (I didn't want to go to either) because what I was told was that once I cancelled my firm choice, my insurance would automatically become my firm choice. However, this was during clearing so I'm not sure if the procedures the same before clearing.
Your insurance choice has to agree to become your firm. After you have results (so after Clearing has started), if your firm has changed to unconditional then if you are released from it your insurance choice does not become your firm, it's just gone. As soon as your firm is unconditional, you no longer have an insurance choice.
amyelizabeth2681
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your insurance choice has to agree to become your firm. After you have results (so after Clearing has started), if your firm has changed to unconditional then if you are released from it your insurance choice does not become your firm, it's just gone. As soon as your firm is unconditional, you no longer have an insurance choice.
Ah I see. I think in my case the reason my insurance choice automatically became my firm was because my offer still hadn't changed on UCAS from conditional to unconditional, despite having met my offer on results day. Had it done so, I would of been released into clearing automatically. Instead, I had to call both universities and tell them to release me. Slightly awkward conversation with the admissions tutors, and one was downright rude when I told them I didn't want to go to their university anymore, but I didn't have much of an option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads