The Student Room Group

Lottery - Have you or close family won it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emthedrummer
I won a fiver on the first scratchcard I ever bought, on my 16th birthday. Never doing it again, I don't want to break my winning streak. :cool:

Wise thinking :tongue:
Original post by Greenlaner
Well your presumption couldn't be further from the truth. My family have never been well off and i have never had everything handed to me on a plate. My father died when i was six and left my mother to raise me and my sister with a barely above minimum wage job.

Wealth, status, power, having expensive cars, a big house filled with lots of shiny stuff and servents to wipe your arse, none of it interests me in the slightest. Call me a hippie but my dream existence in all honesty would be to live a modest log cabin or cottage in the middle of a forest where i can be close to nature and pretty much lead a self-reliant/survivalist lifestyle. I dont want to win the lottery because i dont need to win the lottery to fulfil my life's ambitions.

that sounds awesome :biggrin:
My great grandfather won the French lottery a year or two before I was born. I don't know how much but it was a lot. He gave a lot to his 6 grandchildren, so my dad got a fair chunk (around £40k) which he and my mam used to buy a house - back in the early 80s.
(edited 11 years ago)
My friend for got it was my birthday so he bought me one :lol: I won £10 :biggrin:
I won 284 pound last year as I had 4 or 5 numbers (Can't quite remember)
Reply 85
I'm 19 and I started playing the lottery religiously around 4 months ago. I never really knew much about it, and so like anyone else would sometimes end up buying a ridiculous amount of lucky dips, or playing different games (Lotto, Thunderball, Euros) just for the sake of it, actually thinking I had a chance. After every ticket I buy, I would simply think about what I would do with those winnings and how I would spend them and whatever... Basically I was living in a fantasy world where winning the lottery was pretty much guaranteed for me :colondollar:

I've played the Euromillions regularly, thinking that, despite the odds being greater, the separate raffle for UK players only makes it worthwhile, however, in total, I've only won a measly £18 or so. I've given it a break since. I did buy 6 lucky dips for the draw on Friday and was also in the false sense of hope that this time I actually had a better chance of winning.... Little did I know that shops all over the country were jam packed with people who were also in the same thinking as me.

I don't believe in probability in contention with luck and do feel that patience pays its dividends. I've just learned not to go crazy with the amount I spend on tickets, nor to daydream about what I would do if I had won. I simply keep my own set of numbers as well as one lucky dip every Friday now... Some might still think it's way too much but trust me it's nothing compared to what I used to spend when I first started :tongue:

Good luck to everyone however. Watching videos of winner's stories on Youtube and the Camelot website gets me thinking however.... "How on earth did they win it" :rolleyes::tongue:
Reply 86
I didnt win on Friday :frown:
Reply 87
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
No. It's my belief that the lottery is a tax on stupidity.

Hallelujah someone finally says it. It's a stealth tax plain and simple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_tax
Mind you it's so popular and successful maybe the government should turn council tax into a lottery. "Pay your council tax for the chance to win a million" That would stop the riots.
I know many, many stories of the lottery. I will tell each if you'd like. But one that is real and more recent is the one about an elderly neighbor who won it. All she did was spend it on the people she loved, not saved really. One day her grandson, her only realtive, local at least, dies of brain cancer. I believe it was the next day of which she died of a broken heart and not a penny to her name.
Original post by Podcaster
That would stop the riots.

???
Reply 90
Original post by + polarity -
???

Any future riots caused by raising taxes like the failed poll tax for instance is what I meant.
My boyfriends grandparents won 180,000 before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending