'Traps' muscle workout needed Watch

chill543
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi there, its not often i go on this place but...
after watching the new batman movie, i saw banes muscles (in his back specifically) ( http://swoonworthy.net/wp-content/up...or-muscles.jpg )
and i thought... WOW (obvs these are after hes been doing exersises, but before exersises, there still pretty nice)

so anyways, i currently work out a fair bit (but only use bodyweight exersises, no dumbells, no gym ect... just do it at home as its free and i feel my body is pretty stong) doing pressups most days of the week with a weighted bag ( bag at 2 stone and i can do 12 non stop, then i stop and do 8, leave it about 5 mins and finish of with 20 regular ( + i always do pressups on my first 2 knuckes, or my finger tips ))
and also doing a lot of stomach core strenght workouts too, i do side crunches (20ish) i geuss you would call them, leg raises (40ish), and dragon flags ( i can do 3 at current without stopping, they are difficult - but finish the rest of 1 legged ha) (i cant do sittups beacause the base of my back clicks rather anoyingly and becomes painfull at about 15))
(usally this stuff takes about 30-40 mins to complete so its not bad)
i occasionly do pull ups ( about once a week ) i usaully do 10 with my hands facing away and then 5 towards, but i want to try fit in more of these
i do some cardiov, football occasionly ( im not good lol, but i try) and also end up walking a lot (its pretty hilly here)
(ive done this routine for about 2 months i think now)

its hard to see my back, but, when i tense the top is much muscler than the bottom ( talking about my traps here ) when i feel it and my up at the top when i look in the mirror after a workout they look pretty meaty

so, my qeustion is, what variation of these exersise / other BODYWEIGHT exersises could i include into my 'routine' that will help develop these muscles ?

and also wanted to give my deltiods a bit of a workout too, what could i do for that? my shoulders look pretty nice and big id say (and when i tence they look like pure muscle xD ) but i dont think my deltoids complement them well :/

ive read about handstand pressups ( i cant do handstand but could do them againt the wall) would they help develop my traps?

thanks for the advice guys and sorry about the novel, i can try get some pciks up but really dont see it helping much :/
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Walking with a handstand against a wall would help your traps. You can also try doing upside down shrugs against a wall which would isolate them more.

As for your delts, I can't really think of bodyweight exercises that work them except pushups and pullups, and even they don't use them that much.
chill543
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooosh)
Walking with a handstand against a wall would help your traps. You can also try doing upside down shrugs against a wall which would isolate them more.

As for your delts, I can't really think of bodyweight exercises that work them except pushups and pullups, and even they don't use them that much.
cheers mate, i was thinking for the delts, what if i laid down, put my right hand were my left shoulder would meet the floor, and then push u + point my other hand in the air till im like side on with the floor? ( this is why i like bodyweight exersises its always toning many muscles at once :P )
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chill543)
cheers mate, i was thinking for the delts, what if i laid down, put my right hand were my left shoulder would meet the floor, and then push u + point my other hand in the air till im like side on with the floor? ( this is why i like bodyweight exersises its always toning many muscles at once :P )
I can't picture that in my head, can you break it down a bit more?
rattyryan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why don't you just get some dumbells. Only like 30 quid from argos
chill543
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooosh)
I can't picture that in my head, can you break it down a bit more?
so if lay down asif im at the bottom of a pressup then i put my right hand were my left hand would be (and my left hand would then no longer be used)

then if i push my right arm like im moving it to the side to lift my body into the air

then i lift my left foot of the floor, so my right arm and right leg are touching the floor ( imagin tilting a crab on its side :P ), then with my other arm i piont the the sky?

i might try it anyways, just to see what muscles it works ect

(Original post by rattyryan)
Why don't you just get some dumbells. Only like 30 quid from argos
welll, i just dont like the weight make me feel, i mean, my friend goes to the gym often (and for long periods of time), and he has dumbells, i was at his the other day, and the wieght he uses for his bicepts i could lift with my shoulder ( raising my right arm from the hip to the side ) ( could only do like 3 reps well mind you but... he cant do any he said :/)
not to say he may just be mucking about more than anything at gym haha

i just feel, more flexible, not exactly stronger, but its like, easier to apply my strenght if you get what i mean, like i can climb pretty quick i know the limits of my body better as compared to when i did have weight for a whilst, it feels like, more of my muscles are exersied at once and i can coordinate them better ha:P i dont know how to explain it lol
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Big traps :no:
philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Heavy shrugs.

If you're short on weights, just wrap your parents in a bed sheet whilst they sleep, and lift them repeatedly off the floor. Just make sure you don't drop the weights, as only ********s drop weights.

srs
chill543
Rep:
?
(Original post by silent ninja)
lol why not ? i think they look ace tbh :P
not that big though, :cool:
rattyryan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well aye coz the bodyweight exercises your doing are compounds. You can do compounds with dumbells too yknow.
If your serious about building "traps" or any other muscle then you could at least invest in some dumbells. They come with different plates too. You can chuck 1kg upto 40kg.
Failing that I'd suggest parallel pull ups...keep your chest up all the way...shoulders tight. That'll hit your traps. Then get some plates in a backpack or a dumbell between your leg when your hitting the 15-20 mark
Muesca
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A gym membership so you can do proper exercises with the optimum equipment would be ideal, but I appreciate you've asked for bodyweight exercises and I presume you've asked for these because you can't go to a gym or buy the appropriate equipment for whatever reason.

You must have large buckets or suitcases somewhere, surely? Well, fill them with water/stuff and do "shrugs", here's a decent video showing you how - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPOuwt-tY8

You should aim for 3 to 4 sets of 8-10 reps depending on how much weight you can get in the suitcases/buckets.

Or you could just go for a long walk with some packed tesco bags (the fabric bag for life variety), make a conscious effort to keep your shoulders ever so slightly higher than normal, you'll be begging to put them down by the end
Crystal Fighter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.simplyshredded.com/ bro
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chill543)
so if lay down asif im at the bottom of a pressup then i put my right hand were my left hand would be (and my left hand would then no longer be used)

then if i push my right arm like im moving it to the side to lift my body into the air

then i lift my left foot of the floor, so my right arm and right leg are touching the floor ( imagin tilting a crab on its side :P ), then with my other arm i piont the the sky?

i might try it anyways, just to see what muscles it works ect

welll, i just dont like the weight make me feel, i mean, my friend goes to the gym often (and for long periods of time), and he has dumbells, i was at his the other day, and the wieght he uses for his bicepts i could lift with my shoulder ( raising my right arm from the hip to the side ) ( could only do like 3 reps well mind you but... he cant do any he said :/)
not to say he may just be mucking about more than anything at gym haha

i just feel, more flexible, not exactly stronger, but its like, easier to apply my strenght if you get what i mean, like i can climb pretty quick i know the limits of my body better as compared to when i did have weight for a whilst, it feels like, more of my muscles are exersied at once and i can coordinate them better ha:P i dont know how to explain it lol
Sounds like it might work. Would hit your core hard as well.
desijut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
shrugs and power cleans (bonus of power cleans is that it works a lot of muscles)

EDIT: Just saw the BODYWEIGHT exercies bit, and no not sure on that
Maxima
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This isn't really bodyweight but Deadlifts can do wonders for your traps.
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maxima)
This isn't really bodyweight but Deadlifts can do wonders for your traps.
Of all the exercises out there, deadlifts are the complete opposite of bodyweight!
Old School
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
big traps :yep:

EDIT:

To clarify

Name:  gotyoke.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  299.4 KB

OP, join a gym. Squat, press and pull and you'll be on your way to a mighty yoke.

Bodyweight exercises just ain't gonna cut it.
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You aren't going to get big traps with bodyweight exercises.

Deadlift and shrug, and you will get big traps.

And non of this beta ***** light dumbbell shrugging/shoulder rolling until you get bored, heavy shrugs.
Guvnor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol you will not be able to develop traps like that op I can guarantee it I don't care what anyone says in this thread. So forget about it and stick to normal training, pushing the weights, get your cardio in and keep your diet on track. It'll be quite a time before you get into any shape(traps) like that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't go for targeting your traps specifically. Sure, he has bigger traps than you but he's presumably got bigger everything than you, and without a lot of serious weight training you won't look anything like him - if you're going to continue with just bodyweight exercises I'd leave behind idea about being particularly big and just keep yourself healthy and in good fitness. As for which bodyweight exercises are likely to be best, I suppose handstand pressups would be pretty good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads