Tattoos and Piercings for big unis. Watch

LordFishlock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everybody, can't be bothered to check if there is already a post about this but anyway, I was wondering whether big unis like Oxford, Cambridge and LSE could discredit your application if you have tattoos or piercings, or are there any questions asking about that sort of thing on your uni application? May sound stupid but oh well.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB860
blondie :)
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The simple answer is: no. You don't put anything like that on your uni application either. I'm not sure about medicine/nursing for example, whereby you're having contact with the public.
LordFishlock
Rep:
?
(Original post by blondie :))
The simple answer is: no. You don't put anything like that on your uni application either. I'm not sure about medicine/nursing for example, whereby you're having contact with the public.
Thanks, put my mind at rest .
Dan9878
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope not at all - just make sure its not offensive then its fine.
Arizona Dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is good to know lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Podcaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So long as it's not a swastika or something they definetly don't care and neither does UCAS.

Thought this article was about someone who took their love for their uni too far and got it's crest tattooed on themselves.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's always sensible to get any tattoos in locations that you can cover up easily (neck / face tattoos invariably seem to be the marker of a thug in my experience anyway) and piercings can normally be made less obvious using retainers.

Any universities that don't interview won't have a clue what you look like before you turn up on the first day of term. For universities that do interview, if you don't feel nervous about your own appearance, then you're less likely have nerves affect your performance, hence why it might help to tone it down a bit. It's also wise to have ways to cover up tattoos & piercings anyway, because they will affect job interviews. University interviewers are, however, much ore interested in your academic ability than anything else.
username208984
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're going into anything professional it's generally better, tattoo wise to get things on your arms above the elbow so that they can be easily covered with a shirt. If you still go below however make sure it's nothing offensive.
LordFishlock
Rep:
?
(Original post by Podcaster)
So long as it's not a swastika or something they definetly don't care and neither does UCAS.

Thought this article was about someone who took their love for their uni too far and got it's crest tattooed on themselves.
Brilliant.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB860
tpxvs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some courses dont allow it i thought? Like medicine?
dearyme
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its not something they should judge you on ( and if they do they are muppets) Understandably for subjects such as medicine you have to adhere to NHS dress code of being bare below the elbow and no visible body piercings or tattoos that might cause offence but this is only in clinical situations or when you might be seeing patients. I find all other times its a free for all; one day all my year turned up with willys drawn in sharpie on our faces from an initiation the night before....
Arizona Dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm going into the health care sector, occupational therapy, and I have 9 tattoos ..... But they're all covered when I wear a tshirt so I think I'll be fine.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads