How many of you thoroughly enjoy all of your A-levels? Watch

Poll: Do you enjoy ALL of your A-levels?
Yes (28)
38.36%
No (45)
61.64%
Off To The Races
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Understandably heavy revision and exam tension is rarely going to be an enjoyable experience, but how many of you TSR members enjoy studying all of your A-levels? I am starting A-levels in September and I'm really looking forward to starting college.

I am studying English Literature, Film Studies, History and Sociology, all of which sum up my interests really. For English I have awesome books (Gatsby and The Kite Runner), for history I have killer periods to study (Russia and India), I am an avid film fan and so Film Studies is perfect for me, and I find the premise of sociology very interesting as it contains applied economics and political science. All my subjects are essay-based which is great as I like crafting arguments and I like developing my own interpretations.

I enjoy the acquisition of skills and knowledge in fields I find interesting and so I am fairly confident in my subject selection. I am prioritising enjoyment over respectability as I don't want to commit one/two years of study to a field or discipline which doesn't interest me.

I'm not naive in thinking that A-levels will be a breeze by any means, and there's no telling how much I'll enjoy the social side of college, but I'd like to think that enjoyment of my studies will help smooth the process. So back to the title, how many of you enjoy studying ALL of your A-levels?
khalidpatel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lool a levels are soo hard man.. No matter if u love the subject the content which you gotta learn is hard

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Agenda Suicide
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did enjoy all of my a levels yes, the only time I didn't was when they became too stressful due to exams.
NaaderBajwa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to detest Biology, until I realised it was just a mental stigma I had against it, caused by the horrible questions asked. Once I thought about it, I'd say I enjoyed the subject overall. Though I preferred my other two (maths and chem). Having said that, Chemistry became a bit of a chore towards the end of the year.
tomatoslayer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't like any of my subjects. my only motivation was ema and that stopped so now I go to college to use the music studio

hashtag: thuglife

naa, i joke. but seriously, english lit, chemistry, biology and anthro can kiss my black BLEEP.
Ra Ra Ra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really enjoy History, I kind of enjoy English Literature. I don't like English Language, though; I only took it because my college offers **** all in the way of A Levels, and I didn't know you could self-study then. I might pick up Classical Civilisation in September, though, as it sounds really interesting
chill543
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
really liked maths and chem, infact absolutly loved them
but i disliked biology lots, but spending 2/3 of my working time doing something i enjoyed, and 1/6 of my other time doing work that i didnt enjoy ( the other 1/6 was talking to my biology friend, who also disliked the subject :P ) wasnt that bad

i also think a levels are hard to beggin with but by the end, it becomes easy to spend a lot of time doing the work

EDIT: also did phyics as. the teacher did computer mathmatics or something - needless to say, he was ****, and tbh, he was **** at maths, with about 90% of the time failing to rearange eqations ect or just genraly saying incorect things, but otherwise i think i would have enjoyed that subject
JollyGreenAtheist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love history to bits, without exception.

English Literature is hit and miss for me - if I'm on a text I enjoy, it's amazing. Unfortunately, I'm quite selective with my texts.

Government & Politics is generally interesting, but it depends on who teaches me. I have one godawful teacher, and one brilliant one.

Sociology is rather dull to be honest. I think I'll be dropping it.
WilliamG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It all depended on the teacher for me. I hated poetry because of the teacher (although he is better at shakespeare!), loved politics, loved history and hated maths (had the two worst teachers in the school).
In general I enjoyed learning my subjects through the year up until about march when it just became exam orientated - as you'd expect!
Bellissima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i hated one of my a levels like 90% of the time... and hated the other 50% of the time... the other i loved 99% of the time
TheDannyManCan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The subjects themselves were brilliant; the classes could be less so at times, but the content was always great. Free education and you get to take your pick - what's not to like?
Charlesworth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I enjoyed Geography, Maths (although not always C4!) and Economics a lot, especially the latter. I didn't enjoy Biology much though. Thinking about it, everything I learned during my A-levels was really interesting and I did enjoy it, even with Biology, but it was the actual exams and their structure I didn't like (Geography Unit 4 for example, really interesting content but it was a horrible exam.)
This Honest
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I enjoyed chemistry and Biology at A2 but not at AS
Maths, I enjoyed it at AS mainly because it was easier than A2
Enjoyed Economics at the first half of AS but lost motivation towards the end because I didn't like it anymore :sadnod:
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't enjoy any of my A-levels.
OhNoes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I enjoyed most of mine (maths, physics and chemistry). Just...not Biology, had the worst teacher I've ever had for that darn subject.

In fact, I found maths and physics very easy to learn, probably because I enjoyed them so much! I wish I could say the same for chemistry...but that was still very hard :mad:
nevetstreblig
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did Bio/Chem/Phys A2...i enjoyed all of them, physics less so than the other two....probably cos i found some of the concepts mind-boggling but exciting none the less. Nothing made me happier in class then linking concepts together with real life applications XD I'm so sad
iLikeCupcakes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All is a bit of an overstatment ... you will enjoy all but one which will either be the one which requires so much of your time / poorly taught / hard to revise for.
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can safely say I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of my A levels: Biology, Chemistry, and German (my AS in Maths doesn't count )
alice7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I took English language, sociology, business and psychology at A level and enjoyed studying all the subjects and found them all equally interesting. Again i think it depends on the teacher, at my college the teachers were what made the subjects so interesting to learn. Also found that it depends on your classmates as well. A class that gets along and engages with each other makes studying fun.
Rebeccahedwig
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I voted no, but having read other comments i should have probably said yes. If i'd had learnt the stuff in my own time i would have enjoyed it but i disagreed with the opinions of my philosopher tutor and i did not enjoy the added stress of the random questions given in the biology exams. Therefore i enjoyed the subjects but not the tests or the teachers...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
38.92%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.46%

Watched Threads