GreatArtist2012
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, I have a 50cc Moped which only maxes out about 34mph, does anyone know a way of making it faster and how? I've heard about derestriction but where and how do I get this done.

Before anybody says "50ccs are rubbish", "Why did you buy one, it's because 1. Im 16 and by law, i'm only allowed a 50cc. 2. Public transport is not good where I live and i need to get to college!
Thank you
tomrw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Leave earlier and stop complaining..

Derestricting would mean its not 50cc and you would not be legally allowed to drive it.
kumori
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tomrw)
Leave earlier and stop complaining..

Derestricting would mean its not 50cc and you would not be legally allowed to drive it.
it may be both these things, however as long as you get around to putting it back on before the MOT no one will know.

and as far as derestricting, im not sure but i have been told its something about a coil in the exhaust. but don't quote me on that as i don't look into bikes/mopeds much
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GreatArtist2012)
Hello, I have a 50cc Moped which only maxes out about 34mph, does anyone know a way of making it faster and how? I've heard about derestriction but where and how do I get this done.

Before anybody says "50ccs are rubbish", "Why did you buy one, it's because 1. Im 16 and by law, i'm only allowed a 50cc. 2. Public transport is not good where I live and i need to get to college!
Thank you
if it tops out at 34, its already derestricted - the restriction in a moped limits it to 30mph
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Boristhethird)
if it tops out at 34, its already derestricted - the restriction in a moped limits it to 30mph
28 mph (50 km/hr) if built after 2004. 31 mph before, I believe.
tomrw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kumori)
it may be both these things, however as long as you get around to putting it back on before the MOT no one will know.

and as far as derestricting, im not sure but i have been told its something about a coil in the exhaust. but don't quote me on that as i don't look into bikes/mopeds much
What's the point in him "obiding" by the law then if he's going to derestrict after the MOT.

The MOT only guarantees its fit to drive that day.

If he's stopped by police (and he may well be if he's going faster than a car in a 30 zone) the MOT won't protect him then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads