Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Big problem, £374 to live on for a year!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just added together my NHS bursary, NHS grant and Student Loan (Maintainance Loan) and it comes out as £5124 all together per year. My accomodation per year is £4750, leaving me with £374 per year to live on. I'm on an NHS course and will be required to pay for 2 sets of accomodation (1 up where i do my medical placement) and of course i'll need food, books and the ability to socialize every now and again!
    How on earth am i meant to manage with £374 for all that? Someone help

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately the only option sounds like a part-time job... I don't know of any other way of getting money, sorry

ReputationRep:
    £1 chicken n chips everyday m8

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm thinking a part time job will definitely have to be an option ... but even then it looks like i'm gonna be struggling! Yep, i'll be obese by the time i leave lol!

ReputationRep:
    Or dead. From the malnutrition I mean.

On a lighter note, I hope you find a job Good luck, it'll be tricky but I'm sure you'll pull through!

ReputationRep:
    A part-time job, on a medicine course....probably a bad idea considering how everyone goes on about how time consuming it is.

A few things could help though:-
    - Find cheaper accomodation if possible, forget about en-suite and even wash basins.
    - Open a student bank account and use the overdraft, E.G:- Halifax allow a £3000 interest free
    overdraft.
    -Hope that your uni do an insane amount of scholarships :/

And lastly beg, beg, BEG you parents, grandparents, cousins and people you meet on the street for some cash

That's my plan anyway. No wash basin FTW!

ReputationRep:
    What about overdrafts? Student account holders can get them interest free from most banks.
    Can you not borrow money from family?

ReputationRep:
    your probably going to have to look for a job, and if you can't find one/ cant realistically have one with your course you will have to rely on your overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    Is there no way you can get a flat halfway between the two and commute?

ReputationRep:
    Blimey thats alot to live on lol

Seriously though do consider trying to get cheaper accomodation if you can so then you can try and save a bot of cash. And of course as everyone else said a part time job so atleast you will have some income, however it will be a struggle trying to work and study at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaW123)
    I just added together my NHS bursary, NHS grant and Student Loan (Maintainance Loan) and it comes out as £5124 all together per year. My accomodation per year is £4750, leaving me with £374 per year to live on. I'm on an NHS course and will be required to pay for 2 sets of accomodation (1 up where i do my medical placement) and of course i'll need food, books and the ability to socialize every now and again!
    That's quite a common amount to be left with I'm afraid, I had the same shock this time last year, and a lot of my mates had loans that didn't even cover their accommodation fully. I don't know if you have thought about student bank accounts yet, but one with an interest free overdraft is great.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Have already paid for the accomodation so will have to live in it for at least the first year, its only £95 a week but is for 50 weeks!! Malnutrition is a definite possibility haha :P I already have a £1400 overdraft, which is included in my calculations, after i get a part time job which i suppose i'll just have to struggle with alongside my course, my last things will be WAAA parents help me, or waaaa bank give me a personal loan please Haha, thanks for your replies guys, keep em coming :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaW123)
    I agree with above, the accommodation cost looks excessive. It looks like that is way above £100 a week. Are you going to be in London by any chance? Either way, I'd advise looking for somewhere cheaper if anywhere is still available. How long are your semesters?

ReputationRep:
    Nope its just £95 a week for 50 weeks! I've paid the deposit now so cant really back out without getting myself into more debt :/ eek, jeez why do they think that because my dad earns alright that he's going to pay me through uni! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNoes)
    - Open a student bank account and use the overdraft, E.G:- Halifax allow a £3000 interest free
    If that really is your plan I'd suggest you ask Halifax about it. Because that's *******s.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of uni expects 2 types of accomodation? Do they run concurrently?

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to apply for cheaper accommodation. The cheapest is generally below the basic student loan amount (probably has to be), i.e. 3500. Living out in a house seems to cost about that mark as well. Plead financial hardship to your uni and they will happily transfer you to a different one, that sort of thing happens a lot, in many unis some people end up "twinned" for the first few days because they're still sorting out all the stragglers even in September.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, though if i ask Halifax would that affect my current student account at co-op? Cos i know you cant have 2 And i'm doing a medical course, we have to pay for 2 accomodations whilst on clinical placement (one at the uni and one wherever our placement is) they re-fund the cheaper one at the end of the year... which is all well and good but we still have to pay it outright first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    If that really is your plan I'd suggest you ask Halifax about it. Because that's *******s.
    Halifax do allow an interest free overdraft up to £3000 for the duration of your course plus one year.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, i'm already with Co-Op though Apparently my loan should be £3575 not £2343, so i'll be ringing them tomorrow demanding more money in the name of malnutrition!! :P

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.