is business and economics blacklisted from oxbridge? Watch

osama2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi guys i have been searching for A levels that have been blacklisted by oxbridge eg accounting. and i have also found out all of the A levels which are "good first choice A levels" eg maths, chemistry geography etc ( traditional subjects). and also pure economics fell in to that category. although im rather confused about business and economics, as i know business studies on its own is blacklisted i do not know anything about business and economics. can anyone help thanks.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
Cambridge doesn't have a blacklist (and to the best of my knowledge neither does Oxford); and if they did, Economics certainly wouldn't be blacklisted. There's no problem doing non-traditional A-levels as long as they don't fill up your choices; for instance, I did AS Music Tech and A-level Psychology and ended up getting in.
osama2
Rep:
?
thanks. well i was saying economics was considered as a 1st choice A level and not a blacklisted one. these are my choices by the way, if i got all A's at AS do you think they would give me an interview say cambridge? chemistry, maths, geography, business and economics
Little Jules
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by osama2)
thanks. well i was saying economics was considered as a 1st choice A level and not a blacklisted one. these are my choices by the way, if i got all A's at AS do you think they would give me an interview say cambridge? chemistry, maths, geography, business and economics
You're right in that they have a list of preferred subjects, rather than a blacklist. Your other subjects are all on that list so having a fourth non-traditional subject should be ok. No one can guarantee that they will give you an interview but those subject shouldn't be a problem.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by osama2)
Yes, of course, your choice of subjects is fine. (Presuming you're applying for a vaguely relevant subject, that is.)
osama2
Rep:
?
yes haha . thing is im crap with interviews.... cant even get a job which requires a simple interview! :/
amg_22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if you hope to study something like chemistry at oxbridge then 'economics and business' may be a problem, however as a fourth/fifth subject it shouldn't be provided your other A level choices are relevant.

if you are planning to do economics then taking 'economics and business' will 100% not be a problem! oxbridge realise not all colleges offer straight economics so they accept similar variants and that is why there is no economics requirement.
osama2
Rep:
?
(Original post by amg_22)
if you hope to study something like chemistry at oxbridge then 'economics and business' may be a problem, however as a fourth/fifth subject it shouldn't be provided your other A level choices are relevant.

if you are planning to do economics then taking 'economics and business' will 100% not be a problem! oxbridge realise not all colleges offer straight economics so they accept similar variants and that is why there is no economics requirement.
yeah thanks. my only worry is that say if i some how with hard work achieve straight A's and maybe A*s, they will ask for an interview. I AM TERRIBLE AT INTERVIEWS....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads