Angeleyes90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to apply for a summer camp job in America for next year and would love to teach drama while there or arts and crafts which is the best camp company to go with? Thanks
JamesJ10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm wondering this as well! Camp Leaders and Camp America seem like the best ones from the research I've done
NaomiEmma
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went through Camp America and it's the worse thing i've ever done.

Firstly you intially get told you have to pay £545! Well in total just to get to America it cost me £900 as well as all the extras i.e paying for a medical, buying all the things I needed etc.

Arrived in America and the training for my Camp was appalling. I was at a Special Needs Camp and after being a carer for 3 years I thought the training would need to be a really high standard well I was shocked. The proper training only last around an hour and half!!! I'm just pleased that i've done the work before so I knew what I was doing.

To cut a very long story short I had some issues with the supervisors and made to feel like i'd done something wrong when I hadn't! I couldn't stay whilst being treated like that. Once I said I was leaving I was treated even worse and made to feel so small. Even the Camp Director was treating me like it. They wouldn't even take me to the airport literally dropped me at a train station and didn't even check if I knew the way/if I had enough money etc.

After all the money I paid to go to America I then had to pay $750 so that I could fly home!! And was told that this was a fixed rate!!! However one of the other girls flew home the day after and only had to pay $550!

I am now still waiting for my wages from camp! (The wages are really really bad for the amount you work/amount of hours!) I was having to be up at 6.30every morning and then working through till about 11pm! With 2 1hours breaks which frequently I was not able to take both! The wages vary on age/kind of camp. I'm over 21 and was at a Special Needs Camp so I would have been paid £660 for the entire summer. All the others get a lot less.

Obviously there are many people that have an amazing time and I was just totally unlucky! And it depends on the Camp you go to!
Angeleyes90
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for that well I've heard bad things for camp America so they are out of the question americamp is expensive but is worth going in for and I've received so much support with them and they are ringing me to help with my application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads