musicgeek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have to have a small filling, the dentist said its the start of a cavity so the only answer is a filling? I'm so scared, anyone tell me what will happen and if I should be worried?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, you shouldn't.
Vohamanah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its really nothing to worry about. They'll put some protective glasses on you and a little bib, and lean you back in the chair, with the light on over you.

You will be given an injection into your gum to numb it (some dentists use a numbing gel instead now, but its quite expensive, so most go for the injection). The injection will hurt a little bit at first, but rapidly goes numb. Your lip or cheek will probably feel like its swelling up, but its not, it just feels that way.

Then the dentist will normally drill a little bit in your tooth. You won't feel anything but it'll be a little bit uncomfortable sitting there while the dentist fiddles in your mouth. They will probably have a little suction device in the corner of you mouth to keep the are clear of saliva so they can work. Then they'll put the little bit of amalgam in and press it in place. Then they will take the suction device away and ask you to sit up. This bit takes only a few minutes. My last one was super quick, it was only about a minute

They'll give you some mouthwash to swirl and spit (that's a bit gross because little loose bits of the amalgam come out, but swirl and spit a couple of times), then you will be told you can go home. Your lip feels swollen for a few hours and you may struggle to talk properly or drink from a glass (because you can't feel when it's touching your lip!) but it will go down gradually.

You may feel a bit weird on the way home. Last time I had one I couldn't stop shaking on the bus on the way home, it was just the anaesthetic I think. You can't eat on that side for a little while, but its soon back to normal.
Formerly Helpful_C
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Reject it and change your diet. Try to ensure that your mouth is alkaline all day.

Contrary to popular belief, you can reverse cavities - especially cavities that have just formed. Are you getting enough calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, phosphorous and vitamins A, C, D, E and K? If not, then that is your problem. Your teeth go through a process of de and re-mineralisation daily. Without the requisite minerals, you will develop cavities.

Remove soft drinks, wheat and junk food from your diet. In addition, eat celery or a carrot after EVERY meal.

That, or accept mercury poisoning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads