Maybe it's just me Watch

Kernel_Coder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I realized the other day just how unique my childhood was (or wasn't?). There are some things which I thought most people my age had in common and I found it quite surprising that apparently they hadn't. Hear me out.

This all started when I began to talk various people I met at University.

1. VHS. I was talking to one of my friends the other day about films and I mentioned that I owned a film on VHS, I then found out that my friend had never watched a VHS tape in his life, and also he's never owned a VHS player. I was amazed by this. I'm 19 and VHS was a massive part of my childhood, watching cartoons, recording Pokemon/Digimon/Robot Wars, getting tapes from Blockbuster, watching Toy Story repeatedly etc... (yes that was a joke... sort of) But apparently that was relatively uncommon.

2. Star Wars (the originals)/Indiana Jones/Back to the future. I was surprised that people had just never watched any of these, again I kind of loved these movies as a kid.

3. The PS1/Nintendo 64/Gameboy/SNES. Whilst not hugely surprised by this and by my username you can probably tell I'm bias here, but I was surprised to hear that people had never even played any of the systems I just listed, again games were a huge part of how I had fun, maybe this point is taking whatever this thread is too far.

I assumed that most people my age/from my generation had experienced these things.

Was I wrong?

What do you guys think?
benhaydock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds pretty normal to me mate but I'm nearly 21.

I used to have loads of VHS's, I still remember running to the local newsagents to rent videos before the obsession with Blockbuster and all that. This is despite getting a DVD player before they were particularly common.

When I was young i absolutely loved Indiana Jones and Back to the Future, wasn't a massive fan of star wars back then (I am now) but I had watched them all a couple of times. It think it was mainly my uncle that got me into the films though as he is still a huge fan.

And forget all those consoles, when I was young I used to have a NES which I still have in working condition today, the games are still ridiculously addictive!.

I'd say if anything that your mate is the more unusual one, but it could be a lot stranger.
biffyclyro27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
they all seem like average things an 80/90s kid would include in their childhood. I know mine included most of those things, your friends sound like they lived a sheltered life. Or perhaps they just played outside and never indoors I guess...
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
depends how old you are. I'm 28 - everything you have said is very normal to me. I wish we still had VHS to be honest - DVDs get scratched way too easily. Never had a dvd player until I was 19.
Ffew1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds normal to me, and I'm 17!

- Had loads and loads of VHS tapes, mainly Disney, plus my parents' collection.
- Those films were large parts of my childhood, especially BTTF and Indiana Jones! I remember watching Star Wars as a kid, but I'm not really into them now, so not sure if I like them or not.
- We had a PS1, gameboy and Nintendo 64, but they were mostly my brother who was 10 years older than me, so mid-teens by then (He's 28 now). I remember watching him play GTA on PS1, and some game on the Nintendo where you had to shoot these birds mid-air with a red plastic gun!
SimplyEccentric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by retrogamer104)
I realized the other day just how unique my childhood was (or wasn't?). There are some things which I thought most people my age had in common and I found it quite surprising that apparently they hadn't. Hear me out.

1. VHS. I was talking to one of my friends the other day about films and I mentioned that I owned a film on VHS, I then found out that my friend had never watched a VHS tape in his life, and also he's never owned a VHS player. I was amazed by this. I'm 19 and VHS was a massive part of my childhood, watching cartoons, recording Pokemon/Digimon/Robot Wars, getting tapes from Blockbuster, watching Toy Story repeatedly etc... (yes that was a joke... sort of) But apparently that was relatively uncommon.

2. Star Wars (the originals)/Indiana Jones/Back to the future. I was surprised that people had just never watched any of these, again I kind of loved these movies as a kid.

3. The PS1/Nintendo 64/Gameboy/SNES. Whilst not hugely surprised by this and by my username you can probably tell I'm bias here, but I was surprised to hear that people had never even played any of the systems I just listed, again games were a huge part of how I had fun, maybe this point is taking whatever this thread is too far.

I assumed that most people my age/from my generation had experienced these things.

Was I wrong?

What do you guys think?
That basically was my childhood and I'm 17.

1. I had so many great films on video. Then DVDs were introduced and my mam got rid of the VHS player. I still remember how annoying it was to open a video to watch it and have to rewind it to the start again, though. Even though I was one of the culprits!

2. Back to the Future marathons. Need I say more? Never really been a fan of Indiana Jones but Star Wars :coma:

3. I loved my PS1, Crash Bandicoot and Final Fantasy VIII were amazing. And I still have my Gameboy; the back is only held on by sellotape now

I think your uni is filled with a bunch of weirdos and we are the normal ones. :yep: I want to be a child again...
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Was I wrong?

What do you guys think?
You're not alone! I didn't have many of those consoles but I played on them and most of my friends had them. My first console was a mega drive I used to rent videos every week from blockbusters. As for films mine was more Disney dominated, I wasn't really in to adults films, but of course I knew about/saw those, I had tonnes of star wars tazos as well ^^

I watched a show last night where some teenagers (must have been around 18) saw a video player and were like 'what is that?!' And I was so surprised.

Having said that they didn't know who David Bowie was either

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
YemiSanya90
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Was I wrong?

What do you guys think?
You're not alone, I had a similar childhood, in fact to save money we used to record films/shows from TV straight on to VHS. Then everything was DVD and now it's all Blue-ray. When I tried to upgrade to a new phone in Jan. I struggled to find a phone that was not completely touchscreen. I caved in the end. But it seems the world is moving to fast even for me and I'm only 21.
Kernel_Coder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by YemiSanya90)
You're not alone, I had a similar childhood, in fact to save money we used to record films/shows from TV straight on to VHS.
Same, I always used to record films/shows from TV onto tape (I still have them.. ). My versions of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi were official tapes, but Empire Strikes back was taken from ITV. Thinking about it, I think recording from TV was far easier back then, just put in a tape and you can watch it anywhere that has a tape player. with DVD's you've got to format the disk etc.. or transfer from a hard-drive recorder to a computer. Far simpler with good old VHS.
kpwxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not alone, I had a similar childhood, in fact to save money we used to record films/shows from TV straight on to VHS. Then everything was DVD and now it's all Blue-ray. When I tried to upgrade to a new phone in Jan. I struggled to find a phone that was not completely touchscreen. I caved in the end. But it seems the world is moving to fast even for me and I'm only 21.
Same, I always used to record films/shows from TV onto tape (I still have them.. ). My versions of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi were official tapes, but Empire Strikes back was taken from ITV. Thinking about it, I think recording from TV was far easier back then, just put in a tape and you can watch it anywhere that has a tape player. with DVD's you've got to format the disk etc.. or transfer from a hard-drive recorder to a computer. Far simpler with good old VHS.
I loved sticking on and filling in the stickers on the tapes. We had mums tape, dads tape etc, my patents always recorded the soaps and I had mostly films, the Simpsons at 6 on channel 2 and random shows like animal hospital.

Did you ever have those tapes which weren't actually tapes that cleaned your video player?

Xxx

YemiSanya90
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everything was a lot simpler in those day. We've still all the tapes, not that we actually watch them anymore. I'm think a VHS marathon now or something similar soon.

(Original post by kpwxx)
Did you ever have those tapes which weren't actually tapes that cleaned your video player?
I used to love those tapes, I'll I ever did we were watching movies was put them in and see if I could how they cleaned the VCR.
kpwxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everything was a lot simpler in those day. We've still all the tapes, not that we actually watch them anymore. I'm think a VHS marathon now or something similar soon.

I used to love those tapes, I'll I ever did we were watching movies was put them in and see if I could how they cleaned the VCR.
Yeah, I still have all mine too... It just doesn't feel right getting rid of them!

My dad still has a player and is slowly converting all our home movies to DVD.

Xxx

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads