How did you get all your stuff overseas? Watch

makethespkrzbleed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I'm from the US and am going to the University of Aberdeen this fall and I'm still trying to figure out if shipping a big crate of stuff over is a better option than traveling with it. I'm obviously buying a good deal of stuff over there but there's still no way I can get everything down to a suitcase and a carry on. So should cut down what I'm bringing and just pay $50 for a second suitcase? Or should I pay more than that to ship more stuff? Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Vulpes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I travelled from Hong Kong and Cathay Pacific had a package that allowed me to bring over 35 kg of stuff. I bought most of the essentials like bedding, cooking utensils, stationary etc when I arrived in the UK and simply tried to bring over as much as I could.
lex25288
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vulpes)
I travelled from Hong Kong and Cathay Pacific had a package that allowed me to bring over 35 kg of stuff. I bought most of the essentials like bedding, cooking utensils, stationary etc when I arrived in the UK and simply tried to bring over as much as I could.
I'll probably be doing the same... Just bear in mind, that bringing two suitcases might be an issue if you don't have enough storage space in your room. Since most flats in colleges (or any other kind of student accommodation) don't have proper storage rooms. You just have your room and that's it. So make sure your suitcase isn't too large, since I'm guessing you're not gonna be going back home for at least two and a half months (till Christmas holidays that is). You don't want your room to turn into a bottled-up mess, trust me :-)
Just bring the essentials and buy everything else in the UK. Besides it's gonna be much cheaper that paying for extra luggage on a plane.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
katieeeL
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by makethespkrzbleed)
So I'm from the US and am going to the University of Aberdeen this fall and I'm still trying to figure out if shipping a big crate of stuff over is a better option than traveling with it. I'm obviously buying a good deal of stuff over there but there's still no way I can get everything down to a suitcase and a carry on. So should cut down what I'm bringing and just pay $50 for a second suitcase? Or should I pay more than that to ship more stuff? Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Just bring another bag. Shipping it is expensive and this way you are limited to take only what you need. Try to strategically pack. Some things in the UK are cheap to buy, other things are not and would be best to pack. Towels, shoes, coats, etc are cheap. Jeans, most cosmetics, books, are not. Keep the exchange rate in mind: 50 dollars to fill a bag of stuff that you need and already have vs. paying triple the price and buying it there.

p.s i did a year abroad and i am heading back for my masters in september, so if you need some packing advice PM me.
Jack_Chittick
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am going to study in Aberdeen in September but at the moment I work for a international freight forwarder. My advice is bring only what you need as you can buy the more common basic items over here.

Also its not that expensive to ship over personal items through a freight forwarder but if you baggage is over your limit you will be charged a hefty fee per kilo.

PM me if you need more info Ps Aberdeen is going to be awesome!!
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I brought my entire life to the US in two suitcases
brendayissel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by strawberry)
I brought my entire life to the US in two suitcases
that's impressive. lol i always over pack, so when the time comes for me to go overseas im going to have a hard time packing and fitting my life into two suitcases.
brendayissel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by makethespkrzbleed)
what are you going to study?
strawberry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by brendayissel)
that's impressive. lol i always over pack, so when the time comes for me to go overseas im going to have a hard time packing and fitting my life into two suitcases.
well obviously my life is now greater than two suitcases .. since my two-suitcase life was in 2007 and I doubt I can fit a three-seater couch in a suitcase :p:
Herr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by strawberry)
well obviously my life is now greater than two suitcases .. since my two-suitcase life was in 2007 and I doubt I can fit a three-seater couch in a suitcase :p:
Your post brings back some fond memories for me

I went to USA as a uni student in 1995 with just 2 suitcases, my parents told me if it doesn't fit in those 2 suitcases then I don't get to bring it plain and simple.

Thankfully, my first port of call then was my uncle's in Texas so I mostly packed clothes and some of my favourite food stuff namely dried sour plums. I bought most of my stuff in USA as it was cheaper.

I left the US for UK the same way as well, only carried what I could fit into 2 suitcases, everything else I sold off on eBay or yard sales or just gave away. The only exception is I allowed myself 2 boxes of stuff which I didn't want to get rid off due to the memories behind it, I just packed it up into a regular box and had them shipped using USPS as it was the most economical way then. Just that it took 2 damn months to arrive

One thing to note if you are coming from USA to UK, most of your electrical and electronic appliances are 110v where UK is 230v so unless it is an automatic switching you will need a converter for it, the plug is also different so even if it is auto-switching you will need an adapter for it as well.

Anyway unless you already own an item, I'd avoid buying anything to take with you to UK unless it is things like branded clothes, Ralph Laurens for example is around half the price in US. Things that are bulky though light in weight will still be subject to volumetric weight by your shipper so it might just be more worthwhile to sell it off and then buy it again in UK.
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also anything that you need and isnt available in the UK - there isn't much of this though

It's not worth bringing folders or paper etc as we operate to a different system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise