s.a.u
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to get involved in investment banking. I am planning on studying a four-year degree in Economics in September. As it is a four year degree, I cannot apply for Spring Weeks until the second year. I am currently trying to get some work experience organised. I don't know anybody in the sector, so I've simply sent out letters (well, I am posting them tomorrow), to regional outposts of Rothschild, Deutsche Bank, Barclays Capital, Barclays Wealth, UBS, Investec and Credit Suisse. I will try to get work experience each holiday over the next year. I doubt that I will get anything this summer, but how many would I need over the year to give me a good chance at getting a Spring Week/Insight programme in my second year?
Mr E
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a spring insight with 2 work experiences. I'd say 2-3 would be more than enough, as a CV is usually 1 page maximum.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
icancount23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't need any experience to get a spring week. They'll understand that if you have got any, it is probably through family connections. You basically need to go to a good uni, study a good subject and be able to show examples of leadership, team work etc
Mr E
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by icancount23)
You don't need any experience to get a spring week. They'll understand that if you have got any, it is probably through family connections. You basically need to go to a good uni, study a good subject and be able to show examples of leadership, team work etc
I agree that that's how it should be. Unfortunately it's not. Banks place a lot if emphasis on past internships - most if the questions I received in the telephone interview stage were to do with my 2 internships.
Of course you could have all the internships in the world and still not get any SW offers. Grades, exxtracurriculars, and university prestige are threshold capacities that must Iraq be met.

Philosopher-of-sorts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr E)
I agree that that's how it should be. Unfortunately it's not. Banks place a lot if emphasis on past internships - most if the questions I received in the telephone interview stage were to do with my 2 internships.
Of course you could have all the internships in the world and still not get any SW offers. Grades, exxtracurriculars, and university prestige are threshold capacities that must Iraq be met.

Not entirely true. Myself and many friends got SWs with no past internships, and in fact a few of those friends got offers from nearly every BB.

Of course you got asked about them a lot--because you had them. They ask those who don't have them about other things to demonstrate the competencies they are looking for.

Definitely useful to have work experience, but for springs it isn't all that harmful to an application not to have any. So to the OP, do try to get exp, but don't worry if you only get one thing or even don't get anything. It's a long way from a deal-breaker.
Mr E
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
Not entirely true. Myself and many friends got SWs with no past internships, and in fact a few of those friends got offers from nearly every BB.

Of course you got asked about them a lot--because you had them. They ask those who don't have them about other things to demonstrate the competencies they are looking for.

Definitely useful to have work experience, but for springs it isn't all that harmful to an application not to have any. So to the OP, do try to get exp, but don't worry if you only get one thing or even don't get anything. It's a long way from a deal-breaker.
When was your Spring Week?

I had one this year at a BB, and everyone I met was basically complaining about how they were not able to stuff their CV into one page due to all their work experiences. Maybe things have changed? Or maybe it was just this one bank?
PrincePauper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr E)

I had one this year at a BB, and everyone I met was basically complaining about how they were not able to stuff their CV into one page due to all their work experiences. Maybe things have changed? Or maybe it was just this one bank?
Barcap?
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr E)

kids these days :lol:
SonnyZH
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zweihander)
kids these days :lol:
You must be a really old SA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.85%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.62%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
17.31%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
36.54%
There's nothing they could do (17)
32.69%

Watched Threads