The Student Room Group

D100 application to Liverpool only (mature post-grad)

Hi,

I thought rather than posting around on other application threads, I could just make a thread here about my situation. I've just graduated from Durham with a 2:1 in Anthropology (BA). I have 5A* and 4A at GCSE and aaaaaa at AS (religious studies, biology, psychology, English lit, history and biology), and then took biology, RE, English lit, history and psychology to A2. The annoying thing, in hindsight, is that I never took chemistry to A2. However, Liverpool are clearly my best bet as it would mean I wouldn't have to redo AS and A2 Chemistry (as I did the old syllabus pre-2009 chemistry)! I know I am taking a big risk by only applying to Liverpool, however I really don't want to go through the stress of having to try and get an A in AS and A2 chemistry in under a year if it is possible I could receive an interview and offer from Liverpool. Nottingham's brochure for vet med (as I was planning on applying to Nottingham also) states that a science related degree at a 2:1 level will require only a B grade in A2 chemistry and biology. Biology is not a problem as I have an A grade, and nor would gaining a B in A2 chemistry compared to an A which would really interfere with me enjoying work experience and work over the next year. Sadly though it says on the brochure that they seem to count a 'science-related' degree as 'any BSc'. My Anthropology degree was a BA despite having done several modules in Evolutionary anthropology, biological anthropology and even a dissertation on genetic diseases. I will try and call Nottingham admissions tomorrow (if they are even there at this time of year) and double-check, but if this is the case then it seems I will only be applying to Liverpool.

So, if I was trying to maximise my chances of entry, or at least an interview for Liverpool I am aware work experience and variety of placements are both crucial. Evidently having been in the last year of my degree for the last 12 months I have not had a chance to do work experience due to full-time university work. I'm not sure if I could put this on my work experience form that they get me to fill out? Despite this, as soon as I graduated on the 29th June I have managed to fully book myself into around 12 places - including practices/farms/abattoirs/small vets/large vets. I know I will surpass the minimum 10 weeks, and hopefully reach around 15 by early October when I will apply. I consider this an achievement in itself, but wonder how Liverpool admissions would view this compared to people who have 20, or even 30+ weeks of work experience - would there be a way (other than on UCAS itself clearly saying I have just graduated) of emphasising how it has been very hard for me to do work experience whilst in my final year of a degree?

So sorry for the incredibly long post, but I am set on Liverpool/Nottingham - with Nottingham only being on my list if they request a B in Chemistry...which it seems is not the case! I know most of you will think I'm a moron for only applying to two, if not one university, but I think I have to go to a uni I am happy with at the end of the day as opposed to cramming chemistry in which will only interfere with the work experience I'll want to do next year also. Advice please on how to maximise my chances of Liverpool! I did notice there are 7x5min interviews there all on separate topics, has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks again!

EDIT: DOH! Obviously meant *graduate...not post-grad! Sorry, quite tired as been working long hours.
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't apply to Liverpool so I'm afraid I don't know how they view applications, but the universities I did apply to definitely considered the candidates' personal circumstances. For example they took in the fact that I was from London (don't ask me how, I'm not sure that I'm allowed to say :P) and didn't see my application as being of a 'lower' quality due to having fewer week's of work experience because they know it's harder when you live in the city. I'm sure if you make sure they know that you have just finished a full time course they will take that into account ^___^
Reply 2
Original post by dizzeedollee
I didn't apply to Liverpool so I'm afraid I don't know how they view applications, but the universities I did apply to definitely considered the candidates' personal circumstances. For example they took in the fact that I was from London (don't ask me how, I'm not sure that I'm allowed to say :P) and didn't see my application as being of a 'lower' quality due to having fewer week's of work experience because they know it's harder when you live in the city. I'm sure if you make sure they know that you have just finished a full time course they will take that into account ^___^

Yep, that's exactly what I was hoping. Plus it's not as though I will have only just scraped the minimum! Even though I know 15 weeks is not much by Liverpool standards, I know given the amount of time I have had since June 29th it will be an achievement to myself at least (even going to work nights at an emergency vets to get more hours out of the week haha). Anyway, thanks very much for the reply.
I am not in your situation as I applied as a school leaver but I hope I might be able to help you in some way. First, and foremost, some of your questions might be best directed to the admissions dept. at Liverpool. They were always helpful when I had queries. For example, you mentioned:

Sadly though it says on the brochure that they seem to count a 'science-related' degree as 'any BSc'.
If this is the case, you may not be able to enter the fast track / 2 in 1 course and might need to do the full 5 years. May be worth asking them about this to make sure.

I got an unconditional place when I only has AS Chem due to my circumstances (though I was completing A2 chem at the time they gave me my unconditional). From what it seems to me, if you are only able to do the normal 5 year course, then I can assure you it will be very competitive and it would make sense to maximise your chances. I do not know what other commitments you have, but surely it wouldn't be too much more difficult to try to do both AS and A2 when you are not studying anything else? Unless, of course, you do not feel too confident in the subject or feel doing A2 as well could harm you getting a B at AS. Choice is yours of course, but I'd personally think that trying to maximise my chances seems worth a bit of stress of doing AS along side A2. Especially that some other Unis charge much less for tuition if you do it as a second degree.

If you get called for interview, PM me and I can let you know about it. Or post of here to get an idea of what they are like. http://www.liv.ac.uk/careers/students/downloads/gettingstarted/Veterinary_Science_as_Second_Degree_GS.pdf <-- has info on doing vet med as a second degree and also on what interview stations are.

Also, I know you have probably thought about this, but just in case you haven't, it may be worth looking into financing a second degree as you will be charged full fees (£20,000 / year in Liverpool) and you won't be able to get some of the funding from student loans that you got on your first degree.

Best of luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I am not in your situation as I applied as a school leaver but I hope I might be able to help you in some way. First, and foremost, some of your questions might be best directed to the admissions dept. at Liverpool. They were always helpful when I had queries. For example, you mentioned:

Sadly though it says on the brochure that they seem to count a 'science-related' degree as 'any BSc'.
If this is the case, you may not be able to enter the fast track / 2 in 1 course and might need to do the full 5 years. May be worth asking them about this to make sure.

I got an unconditional place when I only has AS Chem due to my circumstances (though I was completing A2 chem at the time they gave me my unconditional). From what it seems to me, if you are only able to do the normal 5 year course, then I can assure you it will be very competitive and it would make sense to maximise your chances. I do not know what other commitments you have, but surely it wouldn't be too much more difficult to try to do both AS and A2 when you are not studying anything else? Unless, of course, you do not feel too confident in the subject or feel doing A2 as well could harm you getting a B at AS. Choice is yours of course, but I'd personally think that trying to maximise my chances seems worth a bit of stress of doing AS along side A2. Especially that some other Unis charge much less for tuition if you do it as a second degree.

If you get called for interview, PM me and I can let you know about it. Or post of here to get an idea of what they are like. http://www.liv.ac.uk/careers/students/downloads/gettingstarted/Veterinary_Science_as_Second_Degree_GS.pdf <-- has info on doing vet med as a second degree and also on what interview stations are.

Also, I know you have probably thought about this, but just in case you haven't, it may be worth looking into financing a second degree as you will be charged full fees (£20,000 / year in Liverpool) and you won't be able to get some of the funding from student loans that you got on your first degree.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply, yep to be honest it's the A2 chemistry that I just don't think I could do without an immense amount of stress. Already having the A in AS chemistry, I would rather keep that than having to redo the entire syllabus again, and just focus on nailing the work experience and interview (if I got one) at Liverpool. I know it looks like I am halving my chances, but at the same time I would rather be doing work experience next year than stressing over chemistry and having to go back to my old school to do practicals etc. I know to some that sounds pathetic, but I have fallen in love with Liverpool out of all 7 choices, and would rather be reading veterinary journals and around the subject than be back doing A2 chemistry when I have a chance of entry into Liverpool without having to do so! Yep, am well aware of the fees and that isn't an issue, if anything I'm hoping that will put some people off applying to Liverpool and instead people will be competitively applying for the universities like Nottingham that still offer the 9,000 GBP price. I think as long as I get an interview I should be able to do reasonably well in it given the level of confidence I have built from university and the level of experience I'll have by October!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending