How to petition for a treaty on Arms Control ??? Watch

shanej13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey , i want to petition for a international treaty to stop the selling of arms to country's with human rights issues or suspected rights issues and to report them to the un. How would i go about this ? Please be serious
TimHuak
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which countries are bothering you?
A7d8i6l
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you done your background research into arms control!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
shanej13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by TimHuak)
Which countries are bothering you?
The UK
TimHuak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shanej13)
The UK
what are the UK doing wrong?
Nick100
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who is going to enforce such a treaty? The USA, Russia, China, UK and France all sell weapons to dodgy countries. It's feasible that the UK could ban arm sales to certain countries but an international treaty is an unrealistic goal especially when China and Russia are considered.

Incidentally why are you only concerned about the UK's weapon sales?
VeniViciVidi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You know, it's actually better for the West to sell arms to countries who abuse human rights. Here's why, if you know the technology and weaponry you're trading with a state, you have a strategic advantage. If you let China/Russia trade with these states, then you do not have the benefit of having the upper hand as to what operational capability these states have. It's similar to the Argentinians and the exocet missile, the UK had a massive strategic advantage by knowing that the Argentinians couldn't use them because France's consultancy on its capability, which proved to be important at the battle of Port Stanley.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shanej13)
The UK
This might be a good place to start http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/
RalphsDisciple
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go on the Oxfam website, click on Get Involved. Then click on Campaign With Us, and that'll take you to a number of petitions you can sign for different issues. One of them is to do with the peace talks concerning the arms trade treaty. Click on that, fill in your details, and you have petitioned
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Considering all the countries you'd need to back such a motion are the largest arms exporters in the world i doubt youll get far... either way go dump a petition on your MP/MEPs desk or put it on that website the government have at the moment.
Either way correct me if im wrong but havent the government been canning most of the arms export treaties they have with said nations?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Goodluck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads