I'm just wondering what the symptoms and tests for anaemia are.... x
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MePlusYouXx)
I'm just wondering what the symptoms and tests for anaemia are.... x
If you are concerned you might have anaemia, I would advise speaking to your GP. You just need to have a blood test.

Possible Symptoms of (iron deficiency) anaemia:

Tiredness
Shortness of breath
Pale complexion
Sores in the corner of the mouth
Brittle nails

There are others, but it's mainly tiredness and looking pale
MePlusYouXx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thankyou , yes I have a doctors appointment soon
is dizziness a symptom??xx
WorriedAboutSchool
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thankyou , yes I have a doctors appointment soon
is dizziness a symptom??xx
Hi, yes dizziness is a symptom.

I was diagnosed with anaemia and now my iron levels are regular, however I still have the fainting/dizziness problem and I am now having my B12 levels checked.

You should know if you are anaemic after a blood test for iron / ferritin and a simple blood count test.

Hopefully it is just iron problems and not B12 for you! Good luck x
MePlusYouXx
Rep:
?
What does B12 mean??

What do they do to regulate iron levels?(: xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Nice.Guy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
B12 is just another chemical you have in your body (not sure exactly what it is )

If you're low on either iron or B12 you can take tablets to increase their levels, or change your diet to eat more iron-rich foods
MePlusYouXx
Rep:
?
Ah okay
It's the blood tests that I'm worried about :s xx

CantThinkOfaUsername
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah okay

They're very quick and simple, don't worry Will this be your first time having one?
MePlusYouXx
Rep:
?
Yeh it will. I don't like blood :s xx

rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What does B12 mean??

B12 is one of the B vitamins. I believe it is related to energy levels. (Beyond that I don't know I'm afraid )

Your body should regulate iron yourself if you get enough, if you haven't been, you will be put on iron tablets for a while, and then once your iron level returns to normal (blood test to confirm), you can try and see if you are not eating enough iron and fix that.

Yeh it will. I don't like blood :s xx

Unfortunatly blood tests are the only way to test iron, but just look away, and it only takes a minute or two.
Strawberrycayk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah okay

If you do have a low iron count eat things like spinach, dried apricots, egg yolks, liver, beans etc

I used to have anaemia because of really low iron levels due to heavy menstruation when I was younger, the iron tablets the doctor prescribed used to make me sick for some reason so I just pumped up the iron intake through my diet and that helped to make me better If you do have it (hopefully you don't!) Then I suggest you try that too but take the iron tablets as well of course since they might suit you
MePlusYouXx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Strawberrycayk)
If you do have a low iron count eat things like spinach, dried apricots, egg yolks, liver, beans etc

I used to have anaemia because of really low iron levels due to heavy menstruation when I was younger, the iron tablets the doctor prescribed used to make me sick for some reason so I just pumped up the iron intake through my diet and that helped to make me better If you do have it (hopefully you don't!) Then I suggest you try that too but take the iron tablets as well of course since they might suit you
Thankyou for your help I've have a doctors appointment soon.. So fingers crossed for good news! xx

MePlusYouXx
Rep:
?
(Original post by rmhumphries)
B12 is one of the B vitamins. I believe it is related to energy levels. (Beyond that I don't know I'm afraid )

Your body should regulate iron yourself if you get enough, if you haven't been, you will be put on iron tablets for a while, and then once your iron level returns to normal (blood test to confirm), you can try and see if you are not eating enough iron and fix that.

Unfortunatly blood tests are the only way to test iron, but just look away, and it only takes a minute or two.
Oh dear .. Okay, thankyou

WorriedAboutSchool
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What does B12 mean??

B12 is something in your blood. And you can have a certain type of anaemia; unsure of the name, that prevents your liver I think it is, from aborbing this. Thats when you have a problem. However I would try eating lots of red meat and vegetables! They help a LOT! And to regulate iron levels they give you iron tablets, I was on two a day for a year, and now mine are normal. Have you had a blood test for anaemia? That is really the only way to see, and if that doesn't help try and ask for a B12 blood test too xx
zakji
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are u guys aware of any other illnesses which have those symptoms? I had them, went for a blood test and most things were normal a part from an irregularity with my liver. I was supposed to go for another blood test last summer but have avoided it

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
MePlusYouXx
Rep:
?
(Original post by zakji)
Are u guys aware of any other illnesses which have those symptoms? I had them, went for a blood test and most things were normal a part from an irregularity with my liver. I was supposed to go for another blood test last summer but have avoided it

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
I'm not sure I'm afraid

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads