The Student Room Group

What excuses can I use to stay at uni for the weekend?

Scroll to see replies

the day before the concert:

"dad, i just killed someone. gonna need to stay and bury the body, sorry. lots of love xoxo"

foolproof.
Original post by TenOfThem
So this is not about you staying at university for the weekend

You want to go to a concert
You want to lie to your Dad and pretend that you are staying at university
But you need an excuse because he will want you to go home

But when people say just stand up for yourself and be honest you say that you do not want to be disobedient

I am sorry but honesty is the best way and if he says no and you want to respect his wishes then no concert

This is what I didn't want to hear lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TenOfThem
Then why have you started this thread in order to gain ideas that will enable you to do just that

I suppose that is what I did lol but I wanted something of a 'white lie' not to go home on that weekend. Like something popping up at uni... But I don't know what can pop up for me to stay lol

Reply 23
How much were the tickets?

Say something like you're exploring the town or something and that you'll be late to come home. Rush home straight after the concert?

Maybe not.

Reply 24
You've joined a society that does stuff on weekends?

eg i am in hiking and walking which only does events on sat & sun. i know of a few sports groups at uni which do training on saturday too.
(edited 11 years ago)
You have to let your dad accept that you have flown the nest now. You no longer need his permission to do things since you are 18, and by moving to uni, trying to gain independence, as well as an education I suspect. I know it may be hard for both you and him, but I'm sure he's doing the dad thing of worrying about you, and how you will cope this this newfound independence. Humour him and go back sometimes, but going back regularly costs a lot, and you may miss out on things at uni, so take it loner to fit in, especially in the first few weeks.
What gig is it?
You're 18, you want to go to a concert but your dad says you're not allowed.

I honestly can't understand why some parents have to be so controlling for as long as possible over their kids. Reminds me of a text I got from an (18 year old) friend recently: "Sorry can't do tonight, my mum says I have to tidy my room." My mum found it hilarious.

Why doesn't he want you to go anyway? Come on, you're an adult now, in 20 years time will you still be ringing him and asking if you can go to the cinema?
Reply 28
How much will you be able to enjoy the concert knowing that you are disobeying your Dad and worring about the consequences?

OP only you can choose: Your Dad or The Concert.
Original post by Lemonique
How much were the tickets?

Say something like you're exploring the town or something and that you'll be late to come home. Rush home straight after the concert?

Maybe not.

Tickets were £25 & that's a good idea but I dont think I can rush home as it finished at 10pm and it will take 2 hours to get back lol :smile:

Original post by ily_em
You've joined a society that does stuff on weekends?

eg i am in hiking and walking which only does events on sat & sun. i know of a few sports groups at uni which do training on saturday too.

That's very good... I also am interested in the hiking society.. Might have to join it lol but thank you for the idea

Original post by EffieFlowers
What gig is it?

Its an hip-hop artists album release party.. Lecrae - Gravity..

Original post by jami74
How much will you be able to enjoy the concert knowing that you are disobeying your Dad and worring about the consequences?

OP only you can choose: Your Dad or The Concert.

It ticks me off as well... I know he only wants to help but I keep telling him not to worry but he won't stop worrying lol.. I've told him, he said no, I'm going to go anyway though. Now it's just put me in a position which I won't tell him nothing anymore and just do it anyway

Reply 33
Issues kid will have issues...
Just say its a friends birthday and you want to get to know more people from uni so want to stay for it. And then during the year when lectures start you can always say i have a deadline coming up, other birthdays, small tests so need the weekend to work. :mmm:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Could you say that thats the weekend that the societies/clubs do their introductions. And if you've picked something new, you don't want to miss it. This works even better if their intros are just before that weekend, cos you can then blag it to your dad.

But seriously, you're 18, you shouldn't have to obey your dads every word. Plus commuting home costs money and your accomodation bills include the weekends, so you're wasting them.
Original post by imasupercoolgeek
My dad wants me to come back on weekends but there is a concert I want to attend to on a saturday and he already said no because it's too far away but I already got the tickets because he rarely comes to the UK! It's on 22nd september (2nd week of uni).. What excuse can I use to stay at uni that weekend.. Keeping in mind lectures don't start till October!

You have freshers, after freshers you want that weekend to bond with your new friends... you don't want to be the ONLY one not able to go out cuz then you may be left out of the group.
You need to sort out your finance
you need to sort out more accommodation issues
you need to get some more books/supplies
you need to go shopping
you dont have enough money to go back home/ you need to budget carefully
you have so much to organise and you're only in week 2
you want to learn the area more
you're old enough to move out and do what you want, you no longer live under his roof and no longer follow his rules?
(edited 11 years ago)
my parents will make me stay at uni even at the weekends and get summer accomodation to

dnt know quite wht ive done haha :rolleyes:

my mum says peace and quiet haha
Original post by imasupercoolgeek
It ticks me off as well.

Why does your Dad think that he has the right to dictate to you in this way?
Reply 39
Leave him a note along the lines of;

`Dad, I am gay, I always have been, but never wanted to hurt your feelings, I've met a lovely man who shares similar feelings with me and both of use have decided to emmigrate to San Francisco to live our dream lives together.

I'm only kidding, i'm going to that concert, but now you might realise there are worse things than not coming home, for one weekend?`

EDIT: If you are gay, then claim you're straight and have made some girl pregnant and have gone to live your life with her...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending