Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey i'll tell u something cool about dreams....apparently when you sleep your brain releases a 'temporarily paralysing' hormone into your body...some people get less of the hormone which is why people sleep talk/sleep walk. That frustrated feeling you have in dreams when you NEED TO RUN and just can't is the mental manifestation of your physical frustration!

Also, apparently that *jolt* you get when you fall down or trip over in dreams is your heart naturally shocking itself because your heart rate has fallen too low. Its a natural survival mechanism! At least that's what i've read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    *cough* nightmares... don't you ever feel that they're real, that it's really happening...
    I've seen my kid sister have one, I was so scared for her, it looked like she was going through hell in the safest place you can be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    *cough* nightmares... don't you ever feel that they're real, that it's really happening...
    No, dreams are never that vivid for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    nightmares are cool - the feeling when you wake up knowing that it isnt real. the problem with good dreams is that you wake up know that it isnt real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    No, dreams are never that vivid for me...
    You mean when you remember them... maybe you do have nightmares just the fact that you don't remember them doesn't mean they're not there and you didn't have them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    You mean when you remember them... maybe you do have nightmares just the fact that you don't remember them doesn't mean they're not there and you didn't have them...
    Well when I remember by dreams (as rarely as it might be), they are never vivid. I don't dream in colour even, it's kinda weird. Not really sure. Now can you describe a dream to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    nightmares are cool - the feeling when you wake up knowing that it isnt real. the problem with good dreams is that you wake up know that it isnt real
    Nightmares can be terrifying (sp) but what about when you wake up and they still feel real, and you can't tell the difference between what's real and what's not... that's not cool

How can you express in words something that can only be explained when experienced yourself... dreams like many things and feeligns can never be explained in their entirity (sp)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Nightmares can be terrifying (sp) but what about when you wake up and they still feel real, and you can't tell the difference between what's real and what's not... that's not cool

How can you express in words something that can only be explained when experienced yourself... dreams like many things and feeligns can never be explained in their entirity (sp)
    sometimes this happens to me. today when i woke up i swear i left my economics book on the kitchen table, but in fact it was next to the computer, because i dreamed about my economics on the kitchen table (my dreams are exciting i know).

Anyways, anyone ever heard Mercury Rev - the dark is rising?

dreamed of you on my farm
    I dreamed of you in my arms
    But dreams are always wrong
    I never dreamed I'd hurt you
    I never dreamed I'd lose you
    In my dreams I'm always strong

But now the creek is rising
    And all my bridges burned

I always dreamed of big crowds
    Plumes of smoke and high clouds
    But dreams don't last for long

I have my suspicions
    When the stars are in position
    All will be revealed
    But I know that until then
    Unless the stars surrender
    All wll be concealed

And now the snow is falling
    And all my fences torn
    I know you need someone
    And I can hear someone
    Somewhere in this song

I dreamed that I was walking
    and the two of us were talking
    Of all life's mystery
    The words that flow between friends
    Winding streams without end
    I wanted you to see

But it can seem surprising
    When you find yourself alone
    And now the dark is rising
    And a brand new moon is born

I always dreamed I'd love you
    I never dreamed I'd lose you
    In my dreams I'm always strong

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go dream now - until I have to get up at 5 to do more stupid coursework!nite................. .....

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of some people who have dreams that carry on from the last one they had and have an ongoing plot. anybody here dream like that?

Yeah, I get the weird dreams with random people too. I hate nightmares, they seem too real - even more so than nice dreams. I'm often so hyped up when I wake up from them it's hard to get back to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    hey i'll tell u something cool about dreams....apparently when you sleep your brain releases a 'temporarily paralysing' hormone into your body...some people get less of the hormone which is why people sleep talk/sleep walk. That frustrated feeling you have in dreams when you NEED TO RUN and just can't is the mental manifestation of your physical frustration!

Also, apparently that *jolt* you get when you fall down or trip over in dreams is your heart naturally shocking itself because your heart rate has fallen too low. Its a natural survival mechanism! At least that's what i've read.
    I really hate that! I'm having a nightmare and I have to run away but I just can't because my legs won't work and all I can do is crawl.

ReputationRep:
    Dreams are wierd. I mean, i can always remember my dreams really vividly, and alot of the time i can control myself in them.
    But i've had some very freaky experiences with dreams though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.