Find it hard to hold a conversation. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Talking to family and friends is easy I can talk all the crap i want even if its stupid and everything is fine. but when i go out with my friends to clubs or something and meet their friends I find it hard to hold a convo with their friends or be myself around them, which leads to awkwardness if a mate leaves to do something and I'm stuck around their mates.

This all consequently affects me when I'm talking to girls in clubs, a lot of the time when a girl is interested in me i can talk nonsense and things still work out, but when its a girl who's slightly on the edge about me I find it hard to keep the convo going.

Alcohol helps a bit, but I don't want to always have to drink to feel less tense.
In most cases I don't care what people think, but it seems when I meet new people that changes.

Anyone felt like this? how do you get over it?
Jammie_x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i understand how you feel.. i have a group of friends who i hang around with sometimes and some members of that group, i can be my total self around and then others - i feel a bit on edge or have no idea what to say to them - perhaps out of shyness - especially if dont really know them that well. It's very frustrating when it occurs alot as well and alcohol does help - yes, but soon as your sober around them again, its still very awkward.

I think its because you perhaps only want the people you know, to perhaps know the real you.. you know like, you said above, you feel more comfortable around them because you know them alot more. Try and get to know your friends mates, either by sending them a message on facebook and getting to know them individually or try inviting them to a party, perhaps like inviting one friend and then their friends - that way, because you wouldn't want to be quiet, it might help you come out of your shell a bit more.

remember though - always be yourself! perhaps your worried what they might think of you? first impressions count and all that.. but just remember, always be yourself!! and if they end up not liking it, its their loss haha.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Jammie_x)
So after I meet them in person, try to chat to them on Facebook or something?
Maybe I should stop second guessing myself when i talk to them? I sometimes want to say something then i just stop myself from saying the first thing that pops into my head. I think thats out of fear of what people might think of me like you said.
Jammie_x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So after I meet them in person, try to chat to them on Facebook or something?
Maybe I should stop second guessing myself when i talk to them? I sometimes want to say something then i just stop myself from saying the first thing that pops into my head. I think thats out of fear of what people might think of me like you said.
Yes, try and get to know them on a one to one basis. Sometimes in large groups, it can be considered as a bit intimidating. Just be yourself - thats all you can do and dont fear what they think of you! it would be their loss if they dont like you.
sloanegirl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
drink
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads