Anyone else hate Hollister? Watch

honeyandlemon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I think Hollister is a complete joke and their "only good looking workers" policy is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of in my life. Nearly all of the people I know who work there are completely shallow and totally vapid. I find the clothes in the shop nothing special and the loud music and lighting unbearable. I don't know anyone vaguely interesting who would ever consider working there. And no, I'm not really fat and unattractive. I just don't find people who want to walk around a shop posing all day appealing.

It's always complete cringe to go on someone's facebook and see them listed as a "floor model" at Hollister.

What does everyone else think?
pinkangelgirl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
agreed about the good looking workers policy. It seems really shallow.
DancerPerson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just think their clothes are too expensive and not of a quality for me to buy.

In California where Hollister originated, it can be trendy to buy from there but that's because many Californians like beachwear. (It's also expensive in the States.) In Britain, beachwear may come in handy but it's quite cold much of the year and I think it looks out of place--especially as there's a Hollister in Edinburgh I can't imagine Edinburgh to have beach weather.
Zurvan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really don't think its a big deal or at least not anything to be fussed about. It's no secret that today's society is incredibly main and mainly focuses on aesthetics. In the end of the day its their business so they have the right to hire whoever they wish, its not like they're the only business who take into account someones looks during the recruitment procedure but simply to a higher extent or more publicly open.
Maxima
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Next time I'm going to go in with some night vision goggles to see what they actually sell and wear a gas mask so I don't pass out from that horrible Hollister aftershave smell.
Jono404
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really don't see the appeal of a tshirt with a giant picture of a seagull on it personally, it just looks tacky.
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like their clothes for basics (basically for when I'm walking the dog, chilling around the house, going to the gym etc), but I don't like them for anything more than that.
I actually went for a job interview there (more to annoy someone who I dislike than anything- she loves Hollister and there's only one in NI, so if I was working there it would really p*** her off, haha), and it was the strangest thing. All 20 of us had to sit on the floor, which was cramped and uncomfortable, and we got asked 2 questions, both of which were stupid ("describe yourself in 3 words" and "what are you good at"). It really was just a very bizarre thing, and impossible to stand out unless you were scouted by a manager.
The funniest thing was most of the ones who were "scouted" had literally no social skills; in the lounge area I talked to two people, a guy and a girl (who weren't scouted) and they were lovely... contrast that to a few of the girls who later turned out to be scouted who sat and looked like the rest of the candidates were beneath them. Lovely.
Mevans32
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just don't shop in there, I refuse to spend more money on clothes, and end up with something identical to everyone else.
It also seems to me that they only sell two of each item just in different colours.

I'm more of a dresses and skirts girl anyway, I've only ever bumped into one person wearing the same thing I was wearing, and that's just from mixing and matching high street shops + never throwing out any clothes (:
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by snailsareslimy)
I like their clothes for basics (basically for when I'm walking the dog, chilling around the house, going to the gym etc), but I don't like them for anything more than that.
I actually went for a job interview there (more to annoy someone who I dislike than anything- she loves Hollister and there's only one in NI, so if I was working there it would really p*** her off, haha), and it was the strangest thing. All 20 of us had to sit on the floor, which was cramped and uncomfortable, and we got asked 2 questions, both of which were stupid ("describe yourself in 3 words" and "what are you good at"). It really was just a very bizarre thing, and impossible to stand out unless you were scouted by a manager.
The funniest thing was most of the ones who were "scouted" had literally no social skills; in the lounge area I talked to two people, a guy and a girl (who weren't scouted) and they were lovely... contrast that to a few of the girls who later turned out to be scouted who sat and looked like the rest of the candidates were beneath them. Lovely.
I agree, Hollister for lounging around and then Louis Vuitton for going out. :rolleyes:
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
The only thing good about Hollister is that it is decent for loungewear and days around family... same for A&F actually, I wouldn't buy my everyday wear from either though.
M'Ling
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Couldn't agree more. Thanks, OP, I thought I was alone.
Hillbilly101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I'm honest, the lighting is ridiculous. You think the clothes are one colour, get it into daylight, and it's completely different! The one in southampton is fairly crowded too, they put too much stuff on the shop floor.

It does smell nice though :P
Lovefoxxx_93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think there is a Hollister anywhere near me so I've never had the pleasure of entering one of their stores. I've looked at their stuff online though and it's alright but definitely over-priced.
Fynch101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would you hate a brand? Its people like you who put so much interest into brands which lead to firms employing such socially redundant policies in the first place.
AverageExcellence
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't mind the clothes. I didn't realise they had a policy to that although the women who served me was pretty nice although as thick as 2 short planks. The thing i don't like about the actual store is all the lights are out, you can barely see any of the products, its like walking into a cave ffs. Can't even what im trying to buy, have to hold it right up to the light. Pfft although some of the stuff is lush
Redolent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Simply put, I'm not willing to pay extra money for a t-shirt just so I can have a company's logo printed on it, and I don't get why so many people do.

I haven't heard of this "good looking workers only" policy but if that's real then that's just pathetic, shame on them.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know, to hate them would imply I had to care about them in the first place
jordanosborn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Every time I walk past that out of place building in the mall (I mean it looks like a beach house wtf) the smell makes me feel ill.
RoryRorrzShikari
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I pretty much collapse on the floor choking every time I go in. They spray a ridiculous ammount of perfume in the shop. I still don't really get why?

As for the good looking workers policy, alot of people in my year aspired to work there as it would be 'living the dream' and 'such a compliment'. Errrm no, at the end of the day your just doing the same job as someone who works at New Look or Primark, why would you have to be deemed 'good looking' to do that?
YB101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hate the clothes for it

- lack of boob space (girls tops)
- ill fitting jeans (put them in the wash and it goes out of shape)
- the clothes don't last for more than a few months (my friends who work at the store always complain about how the clothes rip easily)
- it's a flipping dark box, poor employees with Vit D deficency
- The overwhelming stench as I walk out of the shop 10 stores down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads