Kid-Nit-Jimmy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
When do most graduate schemes start if you're successful? I.E straight after you graduate or later in the year?

I applied for the big 4 internships last year and was unsuccessful, will this affect my grad scheme applications?

Thanks
monk_keys
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They start in September time, I assume to link them to the academic calender or just to keep it as far away from busy period as possible.

Internships are more competitive than graduate schemes so just because you didn't make it in one doesn't mean you wont make it in the other. Also if you can show you've learned from your feedback it will show resilience and desire.
Kid-Nit-Jimmy
(Original post by monk_keys)
They start in September time, I assume to link them to the academic calender or just to keep it as far away from busy period as possible.

Internships are more competitive than graduate schemes so just because you didn't make it in one doesn't mean you wont make it in the other. Also if you can show you've learned from your feedback it will show resilience and desire.
Thanks mate

Also I am away for the next month and I know some graduate scheme applications have already commenced - shall I start applying now (keen) or just wait until I get back into the country?
monk_keys
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You want to get the balance right between a prompt application and a thorough application.

If you start the online application process now you will register and be able to see the questions on the application. You can then draft these while you're on holiday (?) without any pressure to actually send the form off.
Kid-Nit-Jimmy
Just about to start my applications now.

Should I use the same username/emails as the ones from my failed internship applications? Or would it not make any difference?
Veedee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
where are you guys applying?
monk_keys
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kid-Nit-Jimmy)

Should I use the same username/emails as the ones from my failed internship applications? Or would it not make any difference?
Use the same one, internships are more competitive than grad schemes so it wont reflect badly that you didn't get in. On the other hand if you use a different email and they find out anyway it will reflect badly.

(Original post by Veedee)
where are you guys applying?
Apply everywhere. Apply for places your less interested in first so you get the opportunity to try their online tests with less pressure and possibly get some interviews in before your preferred choices.
Regent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by monk_keys)
Use the same one, internships are more competitive than grad schemes so it wont reflect badly that you didn't get in. On the other hand if you use a different email and they find out anyway it will reflect badly.
No way this is true.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kid-Nit-Jimmy)

Use the same one, if they want to they'll be able to work out you're the same person given your name, date of birth, address etc. But this is with one caveat - use a sensible email address. Nothing about the size of your package/which football team you love/how hard you are etc. Sounds stupid but people do it, it reflects awfully and it gets noticed. No harm in using your university email address.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Regent)
No way this is true.
It's absolutely true, most people are clued up enough to apply for internships after their penultimate year and departments will have about 10-15% of the number of internships to graduate places, if that. My department has 1 internship in the summer and generally about 8 graduate places.
Regent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 86501)
It's absolutely true, most people are clued up enough to apply for internships after their penultimate year and departments will have about 10-15% of the number of internships to graduate places, if that. My department has 1 internship in the summer and generally about 8 graduate places.
But then the number of people eligible for internships vs graduate jobs makes the lack of places a mute point. I'd say about 10% of my year group applied for internships in 2nd year vs 100% in 3rd year or after graduation.

The difference in competitiveness isn't even comparable.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Regent)
But then the number of people eligible for internships vs graduate jobs makes the lack of places a mute point. I'd say about 10% of my year group applied for internships in 2nd year vs 100% in 3rd year or after graduation.

The difference in competitiveness isn't even comparable.
According to the people that deal with our recruitment the internship is more competitive to get into my department.

Greater number of applicants to places, filled more quickly etc. Safe to say I didn't get the internship here but did get the graduate role too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise