lauren.mae31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've just finished my first year study of Computer Science with Visual Computing. The first year was a lot of bits of this and bits of that, not very much detail into anything - so while I'm leaning towards databases or modelling, I'm still unsure what I want from my course career wise.

I live 4 hours away from my uni and am concerned if I take a year out in industry I will have to spend most of my last year at uni alone - as all my friends are doing 3 year courses. However, this doesn't feel like a good enough reason to not do something that could improve my career prospects so much.

What I'd like to know is;

- is a year in industry worth the 'extra' year on your course?
- if i do the year out will it improve my employability significantly?
- would I be better spending the extra year starting a PHD after my degree?

If you've done a year in industry or didnt and regret it I'd appreciate your input here! Thanks
biffyclyro27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
very very useful in my opinion. Gives you a decent amount of experience to be able to secure a decent job when you get out of uni. I would almost certainly not have got any of the interviews I've had so far without my year in industry. Plus you get to earn money for a year which is always a bonus.

in terms of spending time alone, yes your old friends most likely will have left. In my experience, I just made loads of new friends by joining societies again...
lauren.mae31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
during your interviews was your placement a topic of interest?

also did you find yourself at an advantage over the others when you returned for you final year at uni?
biffyclyro27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lauren.mae31)
during your interviews was your placement a topic of interest?

also did you find yourself at an advantage over the others when you returned for you final year at uni?
yes definitely, it's usually the main focus of the interview. They generally want me to talk about my experience, and in competency based interviews I have loads of examples to take from my placement year.

I think it gives me a significant advantage over someone who has no experience, and it puts you on par with graduates who may have graduated a year before and done a years experience. I haven't managed to get a job yet and it's still a tough market, but if it wasn't for my placement year, I would definitely be going for work that is lower paid and less-skilled.
Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A year in inudstry is excellent with any degree. Sooo many students are graduating and have no or very little experience, so can only get the most basic jobs in that sector, if at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads