I've been bitten!! Watch

crazyunicorn133
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so about a week and a half ago I got bitten on the leg and arm by a mystery bug. It's now getting to the point where the itching and soreness is almost unbearable, even though I've been treating them with ice, creams and washing them daily. The one on my leg has trebled in size and feels hard, lumpy and is very red with a brown ring around it. The one on my arm has got very raised and has a weal which is insanely itchy.
Should i see my doc? Or should I just stick it out and hope it'll die down?does anyone else get insect bites this time of year? How do you treat them?

thanks guys
POWCATTY
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
see your doctor.
loads of things that bite can also give you diseases, such as lyme disease from ticks which actually comes up with a big redish brown circle around the bite site...like a target. this can be extremely serious if not treated.
so yeah...see your doctor!! even if it turns out to be nothing its still better to be safe than sorry
amyshamblesxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Know that feel bro.

Got absolutely ravaged by mosquitos last night sitting in the park, soooo itchy.
crazyunicorn133
Rep:
?
(Original post by POWCATTY)
see your doctor.
loads of things that bite can also give you diseases, such as lyme disease from ticks which actually comes up with a big redish brown circle around the bite site...like a target. this can be extremely serious if not treated.
so yeah...see your doctor!! even if it turns out to be nothing its still better to be safe than sorry
ok im officially worried now! Have rung the doctor but no appointments for a week! Do you have and ideas in how to keep it under control til then? Home remedies for example?

Thanks
Mulligan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you taken an antihistamine? Perhaps you could find a walk in clinic near you where you just go and wait to be seen or even A&E. It sounds like the bites may even be infected so I'd emphasise to the doctor's surgery your concerns.
Old fashioned but try soaking porridge oats inside some old tights in warm water and bathing with the liquid. This is soothing and can help the itch.
helen-a-ravenclaw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a lot of bugs bites and am allergic to them which means I've had a lot of experience with this.

It sounds like you've had a bad reaction to the bug bite, or you've made it infected by scratching it a lot!

Call up your doctor and explain the situation and get an appointment as soon as possible.

Between then and now, stop scratching it! I know it sounds hard but it's the best thing for it. If it is infected, scratching is only going to make it worse and spread the infection. Also, if you leave them alone for long enough the itching tends to go down to something more managable where you can easily ignore it.

Put anti-histamine cream on the bites, and if the itching gets really bad bandage up the bites tightly so you can't scratch them at all! That's what I do when I get a particularly bad reaction.
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by crazyunicorn133)
ok im officially worried now! Have rung the doctor but no appointments for a week! Do you have and ideas in how to keep it under control til then? Home remedies for example?

Thanks
Can't you ring in the morning to get an appointment for that day?

I'm not sure if you could go to the hospital, but certainly explain to the doctors that it's really affecting you and you need to see someone quickly.
crazyunicorn133
Rep:
?
i'm dousing the bites with TCP, and planning on ringing my Dr early in the morning asking for an urgent appointment. I keep thinking i'm going a little OTT with the urgency though, I mean, it's probably nothing. Thanks for the responses though guys

EDIT: why the neg? I'm only asking for advice!
POWCATTY
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i'm dousing the bites with TCP, and planning on ringing my Dr early in the morning asking for an urgent appointment. I keep thinking i'm going a little OTT with the urgency though, I mean, it's probably nothing. Thanks for the responses though guys

EDIT: why the neg? I'm only asking for advice!
maybe also take a photo of it now, so that if you cant get an appointment for a while, you can show them how it was if you still feel you need to go?
like someone else suggested, you could try the pharmacy. if its in an appropriate position () you could even show them and ask their opinion.
metro2610
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wait it out I'd say... Might just be undergoing a healing phase at the moment. Still, get the appointment next week, just for reassurance.

On the other hand, be sure to let us know if you gain Spidey-senses and/or the ability to stick to walls :grin:
AdamHarriis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My dad got bitten by a mosquito slap in the middle of his little bald head, he looks like he's got a nipple on his head it's hilarious!
Golden_Boy786
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amyshamblesxx)
Know that feel bro.

Got absolutely ravaged by mosquitos last night sitting in the park, soooo itchy.
Mosquitoes in Briton, you sure?
username919394
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok so about a week and a half ago I got bitten on the leg and arm by a mystery bug. It's now getting to the point where the itching and soreness is almost unbearable, even though I've been treating them with ice, creams and washing them daily. The one on my leg has trebled in size and feels hard, lumpy and is very red with a brown ring around it. The one on my arm has got very raised and has a weal which is insanely itchy.
Should i see my doc? Or should I just stick it out and hope it'll die down?does anyone else get insect bites this time of year? How do you treat them?

thanks guys
You could go see your GP, or go into somewhere like Boots and the pharmacist can recommend some cream or something for it
S'Class
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

thanks guys
Try putting some honey on it. Update us in 2-3 days time.
amyshamblesxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Golden_Boy786)
Mosquitoes in Briton, you sure?
Yes.
jesyliz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like you've had a reaction, the same thing happens to me and I usually end up with scars from the really bad ones. I just take antihistamines, piriton is quite good but it can make you drowsy and use anthisan cream to reduce the itching. Talk to a pharmacist though they will be able to recommend something for you.
BeccaAnne94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you have a photo?

I had lyme disease a few years ago, the marks around the bite are diagnostic in itself.
In the beginning the area around my bite was reddish and it was raised, overtime this flattened out as the redness spread around my leg, my GP gave me an allergy medicine (which did nothing), and a steroid cream (which cleared up the marks - but didn't kill of the bacteria), about 2 months later I was admitted to hospital with bilateral palsy which can be cause by lyme disease.

Anyway.....have you had a look on google images? Most of the images are extreme cases but you can get a good idea of what to look into more
Foghorn Leghorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The reason it's so bad is probably because you've been scratching it and making it worse.
Radio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I would probably go to a pharmacy or maybe the Minor Injuries Unit at the hospital if there is one nearby. I hope it all works out for you, it's not fun trying to guess what may or may not be wrong.
brunettegirl92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
go to an out of hours gp or a polyclinic. you could speak to a pharamcist and they may recommend one.
you could take an antihistermine, or use a spray on it. if you need to scratch, don't scratch as it rips at the skin and could infect it - slap it instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
10%
No (9)
90%

Watched Threads