Poll: which is a more useful programing language to program games???
C (3)
6.12%
C-- (1)
2.04%
C++ (24)
48.98%
C# (5)
10.2%
java (6)
12.24%
javascript (6)
12.24%
other (4)
8.16%
Outlaw1198
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi guys just a quick poll to find out which programing language, would be the most useful for programing games. Hi guys i will be taking the best option from the poll on Sunday 29th July 12:00 pm. Thanks every one for there input. also java and java script poll results will be added together also for all you asking pc/console games
Frankster
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
C++ is very useful (but extremely hard! - for me anyways!)..
Outlaw1198
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frankster)
C++ is very useful (but extremely hard! - for me anyways!)..
ok thanks i will try my hardest at lerning c++ i know it is hard to learn c++ i know it hard to learn because i have tryed to learn it before but i will try again.
idigitalbox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree C++ is more useful. C++ is the best programming for robotic, and controller.
Fried Sock
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you start learning C++ having never programmed before thinking you are going to make cod by yourself, then you're gonna have a bad time. I recommend javascript because you can actually make something decent using html5 by yourself.
JGR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends what sort of program you're trying to write.
The languages that you've listed have different emphases.
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I heard there isn't much variation in the different versions of c... Just that it may seem 'strange' if you read a version different to what you were expecting...
History98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends on what applications you want to end up writing.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tamimi)
I advise against C-- because it doesn't have set definitions which makes it a not-so-great choice for bigger projects.
What is C--? I've never heard of it.

(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
I heard there isn't much variation in the different versions of c... Just that it may seem 'strange' if you read a version different to what you were expecting...
I think they're similar enough that you'd be able to broadly follow the logic of a program without much knowledge of the language, if you're familiar with another C like language. But the same is true of many languages without 'C' in their name, like Java.

Also I wouldn't call C# a 'version' of C. It's unrelated to C other than vaguely similar looking syntax. It's no closer to C than Java is.
tamimi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
What is C--? I've never heard of it..
It's just a cop out mod of C++. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C--
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's just a cop out mod of C++. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C--
Interesting concept, but yeah it seems a bit too obscure to be worth learning
Fried Sock
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's good for educational purposes, but has very little real applications.
That's just a lie.
Ingenium
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would be more useful if there was some sort of unification of these programming languages.
JGR
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never written anything in Python, but even I know that that is rubbish.
Plenty of production apps are written in Python, you as the end user do not realise this however.
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whilst I've never used Python myself there are plenty of apps out there using it. The same is true for other similar scripting languages such as perl and php (php can be used for scripting just as much as web apps)

Scripting languages won't be as fast as a compiled language such as C or C++ however they allow complex apps to be developed quickly.

(Original post by Outlaw1198)
?
In terms of the Poll it really depends on what you want to do. Whilst Games are mentioned what sort of games development are you thinking of. PC/Console games, Web based games (all the facebook games), mobile phone games. Depending on what you want there are at least four different answers.
Chrosson
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wheee! Everyone loves a programming language shootout!

(Original post by Outlaw1198)
java and java scrip poll results will be added together
Why? They're very very different. Don't be fooled by the similar names.
If you were going to combine two, make it Java and C# - these actually are similar.

Java and Javascript are not in the same category. So I'm a bit confused as to why you've listed both.
They're both valid choices for writing a game in. What do you mean by category?

add: Just to prevent further storms, I'm going to clarify that this is my personal opinion, not some sort of fact. Different developers find different languages useful. Python just wasn't my cup of tea.
You have phrased it as an unambiguous assertion. Edit your post to say you didn't find it useful if that's the case, but you're currently saying the equivalent of "C++ is garbage collected...don't be silly guys, it's just my opinion".
For reference: instagram.com, mozilla.org, pinterest.com, reddit.com, theonion.com, youtube.com all (to a greater or lesser extent) utilise python. And this is just an example of it being used for websites. I could go on - http://wiki.python.org/moin/OrganizationsUsingPython
Fallen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What kind of game?

If you want to build a web-game you are likely to use Java or Javascript (which, incidentally, are completely separate languages).

If you want to build a game engine you are very likely to use C++.

If you want to build a PC game, you will likely use a bit of C++ and a lot of scripting in various scripting languages.
Outlaw1198
Rep:
?
(Original post by idigitalbox)
I agree C++ is more useful. C++ is the best programming for robotic, and controller.
What do you mean
Outlaw1198
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fried Sock)
If you start learning C++ having never programmed before thinking you are going to make cod by yourself, then you're gonna have a bad time. I recommend javascript because you can actually make something decent using html5 by yourself.
I know even if you are a experienced programmer in all languages you are notgoing to make cod by your self
gdg2012
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
c++ is the most robust for what you can do.

Though I think its very much a case of "what's the best programming for this particular job". Each one's handy depending on what you want to do with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed