Appealing - grading regulations changed partway through course Watch

michaela28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone

I have just finished my degree, and gained a mark of 69.49 (0.01 away from the point at which I'd have been rounded up to a first).

I intend to appeal this grade, on the basis that twice during my degree they altered the way in which our final mark was calculated, telling us only at the start of the third year. Had they not made these alterations, I would have gotten a first. In fact, overall, there were four possible ways my final mark could have been calculated, ALL of the other three would have given me a first until they changed the rules.

I want to appeal on these grounds, and that they should not have changed the regulations for us who were already midway through our grades, but it should have come into play for those joining the university at the time only.

Does anybody happen to have any advice, or be able to point me in any kind of direction towards something which may help my case? I'm not sure, for example, if there is an overseeing governing body of all universities who would support me in my fight?

Thank you very much!
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For support, I suggest that you start at the Student Union
michaela28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you, I have indeed contacted them! I'm just trying to pad my argument out as much as possible!
Miahrose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really hope your appeal goes well. I can't imagine something more frustrating!
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a great deal of sympathy for you. This really does seem unfair. The general principle in legislation is that it shouldn't be retrospective - ie changes should only apply from the date regulations are changed. I think it's most unusual to change regulations part way through a course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (34)
25.56%
No (99)
74.44%

Watched Threads