Charley1988
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi I am considering going back to university to study adult nursing as a mature student in 2013 when I will be 25 and have a lot of questions!

I did a degree 2006-09 in an unrelated field and soon after got a job. The job is quite well paid but it just isn't me and I am dreading going to work every day an am feeling really low about it all! Nursing was always at the back of my mind and when I did work experience in a hospital at 16 I loved it and was sure it was what I wanted to do. Although I never followed it up

I own my own house (well I have a mortgage ) and have two dogs to look after but no children or partner. I have been living independantly of my parent for over 3 years. With this information I have been given an estimate that I would get £5395 bursary. Does that sound right, or could it end up been less??

I am not in a position to move back to my parents house and I need to find out if it would be possible to continue living in my own house while studying full time. I am thinking of making extra money by renting out the spare room in my house and trying to take a year mortgage payment holiday and then trying to get onto a much lower rate for the following two years and also supplement this with some bank or agency work. How much do you think its realistic to earn working part time while still finding time to study and not been completely exhausted?? I was thinking of aiming to earn £200 a month - would this be reasonable?

I have so many other questions but I think this will do for now. I hope someone can help me.

x
Musicalie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

I can't offer any advice as I'm in a similar situation to you so will be interested in any replies to this thread. I also did a degree (2006-09) and then started working as a science teacher but two years in, I realised that it wasn't the job for me and so I resigned (finished last week). Like you, nursing has always been on the back of my mind and I nearly applied for a nursing degree back then, but for some reason I didn't.

I too, also have a mortgage, but I'm also married and have two stepchildren so I am also concerned about if I am able to afford to retrain.

Sorry, not much help, but just wanted to say 'hi'
Charley1988
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi Ally Kat, its good to hear that im not the only one in this position. You were very brave leaving your job!! At the moment im in the position of trying to work out if I could actually afford to do this. I need to find out exactly how much bursary I would get, how much I could expect to earn part time while still doing well on the degree and finally if Im allowed to get a lodger in (my house is 8o/20 shared ownership with the council). I also need to work out if I would be able to get a place on a nursing course as I bet competition for places is really fierce! An I cant widen my chances by applying to a whole load of universities like I could at 18, it has to be University of Central Lancashire as this is near where I live!

What uni would you be looking at going to and what year of entry an what branch of nursing?
Do you have health care experience, qualifications etc. I have a years experience as a health care support worker but it will be four years ago by the time I would be starting the degree - so I dont know if it would be enough to get a place? My day job now involves working with people but is nothing to do with healthcare! I have good GCSE's including English, Maths, Science and Health and Social Care and an AS level in Biology and A levels in Psychology, Sociology and Law and of course my unrelated degree. Does anyone know if this experience and qualifications would be enough or would i need to do an access course do you think??

I have so many questions about all this! I just hope it is possible!! Any applies much appreciated x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads