Dyslexia - How do you diagnosis it? Watch

Amy-Chod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm 17 years old and all my way through primary school and secondary school I have really struggled with my English especially reading. Even to this day I can barely go 3 pages into a book without having to have re-read it several times and skipped a dozen words...

Since I have always been quite good at Maths and excelled in it esp. in primary school I feel that it may have caused people to over look my problem - if I actually have it.

I have read up on dyslexia and feel I follow some of the traits - mainly the need to memorise words in order to spell and read them instead of photonetically learning them.

For me finding out if I made it would be a massive relief to know that the daily struggle I have with words is not my fault!

Extra Info: I live in Berkshire... If anyone knows any addresses etc

Thanks!
Nutty_Psychologist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you in 6th form or college?
If so you can request assessments through them and then when you have exams they can give you extra time etc. My friend didn't get diagnosed until at Uni as she was very similar but really started to notice it with all the reading that was involved at Uni
warp2125
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I had mine done with an educational physiologist. She did tests that involved the cogitative areas of the brain. You try the dyslexia association: http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/

They should have more info on where you can be tested.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You may be asked to do a screening test before they consider sending you for the proper assessment.

I had mine done at college.
Rubydoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hello! i was 17 when i was diagnosed and im 20 now,
i was diagnosed at college as colleges have the funding to do free dyslexia screening,
allthough i am aware that in secondry schools they dont have funding for assesments which when you have to pay for yourself are about £200.
i have gone back to study at my old secondry school 6th form and in order to get disability allowance i have to have another assesment done before i go to uni,
my advice would be to enquire at school because schools usually have teachers trained in dyslexia have a chat and ask if there is a educational pyshcologist at school who can do your diagnostic for free?
if not you can contact the british dyslexic association for a center near to your adress which conducts assesments but you may have to pay

if you can wait until college to have your test done then i would because you wouldnt have to pay

the test is usually with a educational physcologist you will be recorded on a dictaphone and theyl ask you to just read and stuff its relaxed and nothing to worry about

another thing because schools cant afford to have the proper tests done they might have a computer test in its replacement which can tell them how they can help you and just highlights any weaknesses just so they can support you whilst you wait for a proper diagnostic assesment

i hope this helps chick!

dont worry about having dyslexia tho it doesnt mean your stupid and the people that say you are are the stupid ones because there to thick to educate themselves on the meanings of a learning difficulty !
Rubydoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
sorry by secondry school i meant like 6th forms in school **** but like colleges do it for free
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads