R3cognize
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I want to do an English degree with the option to do a law conversion at the end of it. However, does the degree have to be specifically an 'English Literature' course? Or can I do a course such as English and American studies or English and Journalism and still be able to do an extended year for law?

Any help would be great!
Dukeofwembley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
too many law grads!!!
i suggest you do quantity surveig conversion course
lot of demand for little amount of workers

average median salary is like 41k

you can earn 60k+ managing million pound building projects hen your 40-50

if you dont believe me check on reed

most non top russel group gdl conversion end up working on high street/ paralegals

i suggest you take my advice, as a surveryor you get to go outside(not a office job)
you get to meet people and travel, do to very high demand and low supply

hopefully i have saved you regret and remember this day
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by R3cognize)
Hi,

I want to do an English degree with the option to do a law conversion at the end of it. However, does the degree have to be specifically an 'English Literature' course? Or can I do a course such as English and American studies or English and Journalism and still be able to do an extended year for law?

Any help would be great!
Unless your degree is on this list you will have to do the conversion course (GDL).

In order to do the GDL you simply have to have a recognised degree so far as I'm aware, which any university will award.

However, beware Law is a conservative and traditional profession. A hefty amount of, though by no means all, trainee solicitors and pupil barristers are drawn from well established 'top', read well established Russell Group and equivalent, universities and have studied 'traditional' subjects.

English Lit would definitely fall into this category, with American Studies would be fine I think too. With Journalism maybe a little dicier, as much because of the institutions that offer it as anything. Do whatever you enjoy though as you will need to get at least a 2:1. Also, be aware a lot of the larger law firms have minimum A Level grades, normally AAB or ABB.
R3cognize
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads