From 5 AS to 3 A2? - Need help dropping subjects Watch

Hamburglar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, in a bit of a pickle here.

At AS I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Classical Civilisation. I'm expected to get good grades in them, mostly A's and I predict that I'll get a B in Further Maths.

Now, I need help in dropping a subject. I want to drop Further Maths simply because I don't want to have to self-teach that again, and not only that I simply didn't enjoy the course. However, I also don't really want to continue Classics because again, I didn't enjoy it an awful lot.

I want to apply for Mechanical Engineering at top-end universities for engineering such as Southampton and Sheffield.

Any advice? I'm just wondering whether dropping Further Maths would be a huge disadvantage for applying at these universities. Because surely Maths, Physics and Chemistry is still a strong combination? I'm willing to continue Classics to make a fourth, simply because I keep thinking that going from 5 AS's to 3 A2's is a steep drop or something.

TLDR: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Classics. Do I drop one, or two? If so, which ones. (Mechanical Engineering)

Thanks guys.
Groat
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hamburglar)
x
Naturally I'd say get rid of Classics and carry on with four, but if you're really against doing Further Maths then stick with Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you absolutely sure you want to do engineering at university? If you keep maths, chem and physics then you limit your options considerably in terms of the skills that you will learn. At least having class civ will give you a rounder experience with possible room for mobility if you do change your mind.
M.AKH
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Keep to maths chem n physics
classics would be a waste for engineering tbh
AJCSShp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did 5AS and dropped down to 3A2

Drop Further Maths if you don't like the self study.
Most universities only want 3A2, and classics wouldn't be that helpful with mech eng application.

Does your college/school not offer further maths?

Most universities (except maybe Imperial) will be fine with just Maths A2 and Further Math AS. It shouldn't limit your choices.
Hamburglar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Groat)
Naturally I'd say get rid of Classics and carry on with four, but if you're really against doing Further Maths then stick with Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

(Original post by kat2pult)
Are you absolutely sure you want to do engineering at university? If you keep maths, chem and physics then you limit your options considerably in terms of the skills that you will learn. At least having class civ will give you a rounder experience with possible room for mobility if you do change your mind.

(Original post by M.AKH)
Keep to maths chem n physics
classics would be a waste for engineering tbh

(Original post by AJCSShp)
I did 5AS and dropped down to 3A2

Drop Further Maths if you don't like the self study.
Most universities only want 3A2, and classics wouldn't be that helpful with mech eng application.

Does your college/school not offer further maths?

Most universities (except maybe Imperial) will be fine with just Maths A2 and Further Math AS. It shouldn't limit your choices.
Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like I'll probably be dropping classics, I've cleared that up now. I only considered it really because I wanted an extra A-level, and that the stories can be interesting I suppose. :P

I'm just unsure about further maths. My school does not offer it so I've had to self teach it, and I'm not brilliant at it to be honest.

I want to drop it, mainly because of the workload involved (FP3 does not look like fun). I just want assurance that universities won't look down on me only taking Further Maths to AS. :/
username890104
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm just unsure about further maths. My school does not offer it so I've had to self teach it, and I'm not brilliant at it to be honest.

I want to drop it, mainly because of the workload involved (FP3 does not look like fun). I just want assurance that universities won't look down on me only taking Further Maths to AS. :/
I would imagine that because your school does not offer a Further Maths timetable that you wouldn't be disadvantaged for not having taken it to A2. And assuming you've done well in AS Further Maths, then the fact you self-taught it alongside Maths, Physics and Chemistry should actually be taken well by admissions.

I would get your college to inform the university of this though as part of any application.

It does worry me that you say you don't like the look of FP3 and are concerned with the workload, yet are considering to study engineering at a top-end university.
...mo...
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
maths
chem
physics
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The FM AS will be a plus rather than anything else

However ... if you are sure of the course you want to do and know places that you want to apply to ... call the admissions people and ask
AJCSShp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like I'll probably be dropping classics, I've cleared that up now. I only considered it really because I wanted an extra A-level, and that the stories can be interesting I suppose. :P

No university will discriminate against you if your school doesn't offer further maths.
I didn't like FP3 either and I was taught it by a teacher, I dropped it in the end. It must be even harder learning it on your own.
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys, in a bit of a pickle here.

At AS I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Classical Civilisation. I'm expected to get good grades in them, mostly A's and I predict that I'll get a B in Further Maths.

Now, I need help in dropping a subject. I want to drop Further Maths simply because I don't want to have to self-teach that again, and not only that I simply didn't enjoy the course. However, I also don't really want to continue Classics because again, I didn't enjoy it an awful lot.

I want to apply for Mechanical Engineering at top-end universities for engineering such as Southampton and Sheffield.

Any advice? I'm just wondering whether dropping Further Maths would be a huge disadvantage for applying at these universities. Because surely Maths, Physics and Chemistry is still a strong combination? I'm willing to continue Classics to make a fourth, simply because I keep thinking that going from 5 AS's to 3 A2's is a steep drop or something.

TLDR: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Classics. Do I drop one, or two? If so, which ones. (Mechanical Engineering)

Thanks guys.
I see it as a positive that despite your school not offering it, you've self-studied further maths out of what you should tell universities was "a drive for learning to develop my (your) passion in engineering mathematics"
Hamburglar
Rep:
?
Alright thanks for the responses guys, I think you are right.

I should see AS Further Maths as a positive rather than not having A2 Further Maths as a negative.

I'm assuming that I should ask my referees to put in my reference that the school does not offer Further Maths.
username890104
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Alright thanks for the responses guys, I think you are right.

I should see AS Further Maths as a positive rather than not having A2 Further Maths as a negative.

I'm assuming that I should ask my referees to put in my reference that the school does not offer Further Maths.
I would imagine that because your school does not offer a Further Maths timetable that you wouldn't be disadvantaged for not having taken it to A2. And assuming you've done well in AS Further Maths, then the fact you self-taught it alongside Maths, Physics and Chemistry should actually be taken well by admissions.

I would get your college to inform the university of this though as part of any application.

It does worry me that you say you don't like the look of FP3 and are concerned with the workload, yet are considering to study engineering at a top-end university.
Yeah, that is what I said.
alvina9894
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say drop the F. Maths. A2 FM isn't the type of course that is self-teachable if you want a good grade. (well unless you are exceptionally bright and confident)

You might want to keep the classics to start with, and see if it is bearable. If you find it eating your study time for the other three subjects don't hesitate to drop it. After all, it's quite nice to have a non-science A-level and a fourth A-level might be useful when meeting offers and getting in schools in the clearing (fingers crossed that doesn't happen!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (111)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.3%
Not great so far... (225)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise