Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I use internet approx 3 hours a day just general browsing, so 90 hours a month
online gaming on xbox maybe 2 hours a day, but around 25 hours a month
maybe a few downloads but no more than 1gb a month

i checked my existing company talktalk. i use on average 20gb a month

Does anyone know best deals for cheap phone package and broadband then to cover my usage, as 10gb doesnt seem to be enough
not to fussed about calls, best ive found is sky
22.25 a month after offers
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
10GB of downloads, yes.

To put it into perspective, on my desktop alone, I got through about 8GB of downloads in the past 24 hours or so. I have a download monitor widget on Windows 7. Yeah, I was downloading things, but it's fairly common for me to exceed 1-2GB a day. Usually 2-3, actually. This is not including my phone or Xbox connected to Live.

If you have Vista or Windows 7 you can get the 'Network Meter' widget for the sidebar. Try it out, see what you use over the course of a week (it keeps a running total, as well as a daily usage) and work out how much you need. It's no good asking us if it's enough, because you'll be using it for different things.
printergirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by SillyEddy)
10GB of downloads, yes.

To put it into perspective, on my desktop alone, I got through about 8GB of downloads in the past 24 hours or so. I have a download monitor widget on Windows 7. Yeah, I was downloading things, but it's fairly common for me to exceed 1-2GB a day. Usually 2-3, actually. This is not including my phone or Xbox connected to Live.

If you have Vista or Windows 7 you can get the 'Network Meter' widget for the sidebar. Try it out, see what you use over the course of a week (it keeps a running total, as well as a daily usage) and work out how much you need. It's no good asking us if it's enough, because you'll be using it for different things.
did u read my edits, i use over 10gb
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you checked O2 as I am paying around £9.95 for unlimited broadband (ADSL2+) plus £12.00 for XLN Landline.

It's cheap fast-ish (7mb down/1mb up) with unlimited usage as I use around 100gb+ a month without any consequences - FTP, Gaming and Streaming and have been for around 4 years now.

But then again, I am handing in my notice with XLN next week and heading straight for BT Infinity 2 for £26 + £10.75 Line Rental (50mb down/15mb up) as I need more speed!!!
printergirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by IcEmAn911)
Have you checked O2 as I am paying around £9.95 for unlimited broadband (ADSL2+) plus £12.00 for XLN Landline.

It's cheap fast-ish (7mb down/1mb up) with unlimited usage as I use around 100gb+ a month without any consequences - FTP, Gaming and Streaming and have been for around 4 years now.

But then again, I am handing in my notice with XLN next week and heading straight for BT Infinity 2 for £26 + £10.75 Line Rental (50mb down/15mb up) as I need more speed!!!
I used a simple comparison website n sky seems cheapest
Negaduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have O2 internet and you get what you pay for. It's pretty woeful. Slow as hell and unreliable. It might be my location but i've not had a great experience with O2. The only thing I can say for it is that it's better than BT. I've heard great things about Sky, and I know they have some nice deals including calls and TV. Probably going to upgrade to them in the near future after I move house.
printergirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Negaduck)
I have O2 internet and you get what you pay for. It's pretty woeful. Slow as hell and unreliable. It might be my location but i've not had a great experience with O2. The only thing I can say for it is that it's better than BT. I've heard great things about Sky, and I know they have some nice deals including calls and TV. Probably going to upgrade to them in the near future after I move house.
ill go for sky its cheapest and most 'reputable' i found only looking for phone and calls
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by printergirl)
ill go for sky its cheapest and most 'reputable' i found only looking for phone and calls
You can't go wrong with Sky or O2. I tried to sign up with Sky once when it first came out but the order I sent through became a 'ghost' order which they couldn't delete, so after waiting 3-4 months I gave up and stuck with O2.

I dunno about now but back then Sky had free broadband for customer's who had Sky TV.
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Negaduck)
That is quite surprising as I find that O2/Be are one of the best suppliers around with fast and unlimited internet. Are you on ADSL2+ or max? Because I've heard that customers on max (ADSL) received terrible service compared to ADSL2+ customers.

My only complaint about O2 is how slow they are in rolling out FTTC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads