goaf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi All,
I recently was offered a graduate role from a consulting firm (PA Consulting) which I gladly accepted. However, I am slightly concerned on whether they might cancel them due to the economic situation going on which I am sure all of you are aware about.I have been given a start date though.
It would be good to hear from your experience whether it is likely that Consulting firms are likely to cancel or have cancelled these contracts? I imagine people at the bottom of the chain are first to go and it is worrying me as I need to hand in my notice for my current role next week if things go to plan.
Thanks in advance.
monk_keys
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you have to trust that any firm of a reasonable reputation has hired in the context of the economic climate and wont turn around in one month and go 'wait, double dip recession?!'
bluenose53
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by goaf)
Hi All,
I recently was offered a graduate role from a consulting firm (PA Consulting) which I gladly accepted. However, I am slightly concerned on whether they might cancel them due to the economic situation going on which I am sure all of you are aware about.I have been given a start date though.
It would be good to hear from your experience whether it is likely that Consulting firms are likely to cancel or have cancelled these contracts? I imagine people at the bottom of the chain are first to go and it is worrying me as I need to hand in my notice for my current role next week if things go to plan.
Thanks in advance.
I don't think your not necessarily right to assume that those at the bottom of the chain are the first to go. Those at the bottom are the cheapest and often put in the most 'flog'. So if you can get fewer expensive seniors utilizing cheaper juniors then this could be a more favorable outcome.
M1011
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What? An economic situation? What did I miss?
goaf
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for your input guys.
salmon1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Graduates are a) often the cheapest labour going and b) normally considered the future talent of the company. Although you start at the bottom of the food chain you'll still be held in high regard. In light of this I guess that you'd be one of the last to be shown the door.

A lot of companies employ 'contracted' workers who are more temporary employees and, although usually receive a higher salary, they are the first to be laid off or receive a pay cut when the **** hits the fan.
Teenage Pirate
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by monk_keys)
I think you have to trust that any firm of a reasonable reputation has hired in the context of the economic climate and wont turn around in one month and go 'wait, double dip recession?!'
You'd think so, but HELLO RBS AUSTRALIA GRADS!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads