Access to Medicine & dentistry- Lambeth or City Islington college? Watch

baska6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

I am a dental technician by profession and am planning to apply for dentistry starting in 2013. I attended initial assessment conducted by both colleges and am fortunate enough to get their face-to-face invitation letter today. Unfortunately, they fall on the same day (28th August) and am confused which one should I go for?

City and Islington college letter states that they have invited me for an interview (10- 12 pm)(which will follow enrolment should I get through). Any clues what kind of questions they ask?

But, Lambeth college has just sent a letter stating that as a result of my assessment they are inviting me to come back and discuss my application (9:30 to 7 pm). I do not understand - what does this mean ? (Also, they have attached an advice sheet for enrolment). Reading through other messages, I realise that the second stage in Lambeth college admission is usually a group discussion.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

It will be great if any one could kindly guide/advice !

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Basia
jami74
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by baska6)
Hi all,

I am a dental technician by profession and am planning to apply for dentistry starting in 2013. I attended initial assessment conducted by both colleges and am fortunate enough to get their face-to-face invitation letter today. Unfortunately, they fall on the same day (28th August) and am confused which one should I go for?

City and Islington college letter states that they have invited me for an interview (10- 12 pm)(which will follow enrolment should I get through). Any clues what kind of questions they ask?

But, Lambeth college has just sent a letter stating that as a result of my assessment they are inviting me to come back and discuss my application (9:30 to 7 pm). I do not understand - what does this mean ? (Also, they have attached an advice sheet for enrolment). Reading through other messages, I realise that the second stage in Lambeth college admission is usually a group discussion.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

It will be great if any one could kindly guide/advice !

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Basia
Why don't you phone one of them up and ask very nicely if it would be possible to postpone the interview to another day. At worst they will say there aren't any other interview dates and at best they'll give you another date so that you can attend both. Personally I would want to go to both because I would want to ask each college what their success rates are getting students into university for dentistry and find out which universities they have ties with.

It would also be a good idea to contact the universities you are thinking of applying to and asking them what their experience is of students from both access courses. It might be that one course is preferred over another and that would probably affect your decision.

I think the Lambeth college will be a group interview where they'll want to see your proof of registration for UKCAT and confirm that you have researched universities etc. I'm sure you won't be discussing your application the whole time from 9.30-7pm so maybe you could go in the afternoon after the other interview.
Wild Horses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jami74)
I think the Lambeth college will be a group interview where they'll want to see your proof of registration for UKCAT and confirm that you have researched universities etc. I'm sure you won't be discussing your application the whole time from 9.30-7pm so maybe you could go in the afternoon after the other interview.
jami, does that mean, you need to have proof of your uni of choice before hand for the interview? Like i mean in such great detail, like why u would like to go to the university rather than this, and the structure of the course u hopefully planning on studying there etc.

And what exactly is the interviewer at lambeth is looking for?
jami74
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wild Horses)
jami, does that mean, you need to have proof of your uni of choice before hand for the interview? Like i mean in such great detail, like why u would like to go to the university rather than this, and the structure of the course u hopefully planning on studying there etc.

And what exactly is the interviewer at lambeth is looking for?
No of course not but there is a big difference between people who have thought this through and have a rough idea of what is involved than people who decided five minutes ago that doctors get paid lots of money so they'll do an Access to Medicine course. Most people who have looked seriously into studying Medicine or Pharmacy know what the entry requirements are and which universities are more favourable to mature students because they've spent a few minutes looking at university websites.

I think at my interview I was asked if I had thought about which universities I wanted to apply for. I had only one in mind which I knew would consider my application because I had already contacted them and asked. The interviewer encouraged me to consider another university. I am sure it is fine to say that you haven't decided yet, there were certainly people on my course who didn't know which universities to choose and made last minute decisions.
Wild Horses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No of course not but there is a big difference between people who have thought this through and have a rough idea of what is involved than people who decided five minutes ago that doctors get paid lots of money so they'll do an Access to Medicine course. Most people who have looked seriously into studying Medicine or Pharmacy know what the entry requirements are and which universities are more favourable to mature students because they've spent a few minutes looking at university websites.

I think at my interview I was asked if I had thought about which universities I wanted to apply for. I had only one in mind which I knew would consider my application because I had already contacted them and asked. The interviewer encouraged me to consider another university. I am sure it is fine to say that you haven't decided yet, there were certainly people on my course who didn't know which universities to choose and made last minute decisions.
Oh thanks for that, I understand what u meant now. yeah i have looked into a few namely brighton and east anglia..They are both appealing to me, so will have to weight the options abit more and make my decision after getting more information when i both give them a call
tofan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why don't you phone one of them up and ask very nicely if it would be possible to postpone the interview to another day. At worst they will say there aren't any other interview dates and at best they'll give you another date so that you can attend both. Personally I would want to go to both because I would want to ask each college what their success rates are getting students into university for dentistry and find out which universities they have ties with.

It would also be a good idea to contact the universities you are thinking of applying to and asking them what their experience is of students from both access courses. It might be that one course is preferred over another and that would probably affect your decision.

hi, i am in the same situation , they have sent me an email to attend in 24th of august, what shall i do to increase my chance of acceptance, please any advice?do i need to take evidence of my work epierence?
jami74
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tofan)
hi, i am in the same situation , they have sent me an email to attend in 24th of august, what shall i do to increase my chance of acceptance, please any advice?do i need to take evidence of my work epierence?
Dress smart, listen when other people speak and speak confidently when it is your turn. Don't be late and remember to smile.
shakil8308
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
IS anyone Going to City and Islington college,this upcoming september and will be doing BTEC extended diploma in applied science (medical science), and is there any other course which your doing alongside the BTEC medical science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads