lechemerengada
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm coming to Southampton in September for a Msc course and that's my first post here, so first of all hi to everyone.
I'm not English and I feel quite at loss in all the university procedures. Could you please tell me sth about the process of writing masters thesis? As I understand from the university website, you have to pass your exams in July and only than you are allowed to start your research (I mean you can't start it earlier)? Does it mean that you need to stay at the university until September? I'm asking because I need to apply for accommodation and don't know which contract to choose.

Thanks in advance for responces
jch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It varies depending on your dept etc, but quite often, you'll spend part of your 2nd semester carrying out a literature review on a topic that will form the basis of your thesis. Then, after your 2nd semester exams, you can start work on the actual research project.

To answer your accommodation question - you will need to be in Southampton until September.
Nattatouille
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which MSc are you doing?

I'm doing an MRes this year and by the looks of it, I'm only in until July-- but I have no exams, and 3 separate theses to submit (but I submit them every 12 weeks of term).

I'd imagine you could contact the university accommodation office and say that as of yet you're not sure whether you will be there until September; so explain the situation to them. I'd imagine they would advise you to put in the shorter contract and then extend it if needed.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lechemerengada)
I'm coming to Southampton in September for a Msc course and that's my first post here, so first of all hi to everyone.
I'm not English and I feel quite at loss in all the university procedures. Could you please tell me sth about the process of writing masters thesis? As I understand from the university website, you have to pass your exams in July and only than you are allowed to start your research (I mean you can't start it earlier)? Does it mean that you need to stay at the university until September? I'm asking because I need to apply for accommodation and don't know which contract to choose.

Thanks in advance for responces
The MSc programme will generally be twelve months. Nine months of teaching and exams, with three months of research/writing up of your MSc dissertation. However, you must start the research for your MSc dissertation as early as possible. Ideally you'll want a general idea of what your topic will be in the September and do regular reading, research, etc. until the January when you'll ideally want a title and have all relevant reading and research done and also data collection if relevant.

Although you have three months focused on your dissertation, it doesn't mean you can start from scratch. Well, you can, but you're encouraged to start as early as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads