The Student Room Group

Boy, 11, boards plane to Italy at Manchester Airport without passport

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Maybe this will enhance his career opportunities, e.g. the secret services might want him for being able to get through security and stuff.
Reply 21
Original post by pinda.college
I think the issue here is what would've happened if this kid was a terrorist oranisation's bomb mule.

Questions definitely need to be asked.

He still went through the standard security checks just like everyone else - they are pretty much unavoidable. I don't see how he could pose a security risk any more so than someone who went on the same flight legitimate documents.

Still, the fact he managed to even get past the boarding gate is pretty astonishing. I remember having my passport normally checked 2-3 times before I get to that stage, followed by the boarding card.
wow! when i was 11 i could barely catch the bus. xD give the kid a pat on the back... :P
Reply 23
How they got suspicious:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/25/11-year-old-flies-rome-manchester

Passenger Sarah Swayne, 26, from Nantwich, told the Manchester Evening News: "He was very talkative and seemed quite unfazed by it all. He was just sat there chatting away about how he'd been trying to run away from home.

"He seemed quite innocent really and I don't think it had sunk in how serious the situation was."

Another passenger, who did not wish to be named, told the newspaper: "When the plane touched down, he clearly didn't want to get off but he was taken down the steps before everyone else and met at the bottom by a group of staff who quickly whisked him away."

rookie mistake : telling people you are running away on your own lol
Reply 24
Awkward moment when you go shopping in Manchester and end up in Rome... aged 11.

I bet he's going to be grounded.
Original post by crocker710
Sounds like the border agency decided to strike counter to what the media is saying

The border agency are only concerned about keeping people out, not keeping people in...
What was the wee guys plan exactly? lol
Reply 28
Rome Alone?
It's a shame that the flight attendants who didn't scan the boarding pass of one child will probably lose their job while the parents who allow their child to run away from home, go into an airport and get a plane to Rome will escape any major criticism whatsoever.
Original post by InternetGangster
It's more worrying that the boy managed to go unnoticed.

Not really. There are a load of kids mingled around families at airports. Who knows who is really with whom? Maybe we could put them on leashes or something... actually, let's not give the government ideas.

This sort of thing is actually pretty easy and the reason why it's rare is simply that few 10 year olds have the opportunity to wander off and board a plane, much less decide they want to.

I don't see why it should be anymore shocking than a 10 year old getting on a bus without paying and then being returned by the police. It's only bad if the child was in any danger and it doesn't seem that he was.
Reply 31
Original post by Left Hand Drive
What was the wee guys plan exactly? lol

Not sure but I think he'll have a sore bottom by now. :biggrin:
I quite fancy going to Barcelona...I wonder...
I think the issue here is what would've happened if this kid was a terrorist oranisation's bomb mule.

I think the issue here is what would've happened if this kid was the vessel of Satan off to destroy the church.

(Seriously though, your argument is flawed, the kid got checked like everyone else so he wouldn't have gotten onto the flight if he was, and secondly that statement sounds like the communist fear-mongering of the Red Scares. Terrorists aren't everywhere.)
I read this thinking WOW - would I have been capable of this aged 11?

Then I realised that I probably would have sat on a seat, in the airport, with my Yu-Gi-Oh cards instead
Original post by Tycho
Not sure but I think he'll have a sore bottom by now. :biggrin:

What kind of punishments do HIS parents dish out?
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I think the issue here is what would've happened if this kid was the vessel of Satan off to destroy the church.

(Seriously though, your argument is flawed, the kid got checked like everyone else so he wouldn't have gotten onto the flight if he was, and secondly that statement sounds like the communist fear-mongering of the Red Scares. Terrorists aren't everywhere.)

It does no harm to be sceptical and imagine the worse, I would much rather use events such as the child flying to Rome to spark questions about procedures and security rather than some terrorist attack. I know he got checked however, my point is that he go on the plan without a boarding pass or passport. Now imagine that was someone with the sole aim of sabotaging the safety of the passengers (imagine they did get through security with a small knife in their hand luggage and it went unnoticed.)

PS- Are you stalking me:tongue:
Reply 37
He will have the best ever " what I did during my summer holidays " essay. I'm glad to hear he is back in one peace, and that he didn't get hurt.

His ma must be a right pain in the arse though, to make him get on a plane :rolleyes:
It does no harm to be sceptical and imagine the worse, I would much rather use events such as the child flying to Rome to spark questions about procedures and security rather than some terrorist attack. I know he got checked however, my point is that he go on the plan without a boarding pass or passport. Now imagine that was someone with the sole aim of sabotaging the safety of the passengers (imagine they did get through security with a small knife in their hand luggage and it went unnoticed.)

PS- Are you stalking me:tongue:

Then they would be arrested on or as they departed the plane and their identity would be found. In all honesty if someone is going to blow themselves into next week, or stab people on a plane they're not going to add to the risk and suspicion by trying to get on the plane without a ticket or passport.
A true inspiration to all 11 year olds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending