The Student Room Group

Uni cities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've merged you thread into a similar thread in the student life subforum. Please see the posts in this thread (up until you post).

But can you be a little specific? Obviously major cities are known for beng nightlife hotspots, so Glasgow, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Bristol, London and others. Cost of living is obviously important for a student so those cities in the north are, generally speaking, best in terms of cost of living.

Cities with the most number of students will include Manchester (two universities in the City of Manchester, although they are both large, and more universities in Greater Manchester). Glasgow, like Manchester, has a very large student presence (with, as has already been said, the highest number of students outside London). Liverpool has three universities and one or two other Higher Education institutions. Newcastle, having the usual two universities, has a decent, but not massive, student population. However, as it is a compact city centre, and both universities are largely based in the city centre, there is a large student presence. Newcastle might also attract a number of students from Sunderland at the weekend, who travel by Metro, and does attract young people from across the country at weekends.

But then again, some peoples definition of "student city" is quite different and they will favour smaller, perhaps more homely, cities that are perhaps historic and with a strong student presence. Durham, York, Bath or Canterbury for example.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
I'm not a student in Liverpool, but I live in Liverpool and my girlfriend was a student here. It seems as though it's a very student friendly city.
bristol for the amazing number of hot girls then of course Manchester has to be there too
Reply 23
Same answer as always: any large UK city not named London is fantastic for student nightlife.
Reply 24
Newcastle often gets voted number 1 in polls along these lines and it's the only potential uni city I found that seemed to have everything I would want in the city itself or nearby, so I can see why. Other than that most big cities with more than one uni should be good for students - Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham etc.
Bangor?
Why not! They have 2 night clubs AND a pier.
Thats right, 2 night clubs :eek:
Reply 26
I think that's the point. The member was being a bit facetious.

Though, having said that, in the university/student surveys that seem biased toward towns and small cities, Bangor often rates well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending