Is this a good 2 day split? Watch

shaun12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, basically I have a gym membership and aim to go 3 times a week however due to playing squash, tennis and rugby among other commitments I sometimes only manage to make it twice a week.
I aim for Monday, Wednesday and Friday but since I would occassionally miss one I don't want a 3 day workout split and would prefer to do a 2 day split. Then if I make 6 sessions in a fortnight I can do A-B-A then B-A-B
I wasn't quite sure how to split so Googles and thought this looked pretty good?
http://www.jimmythomas.com/training/...mas/jt2day.htm
I was also looking at including shrugs or a similar trap exercise on "Day Two".

Also, I have a question about weights i've always been not sure about. If i'm doing a 12-10-10 rep set, should my weights be, for example, 40kg-45kg-50kg(go to fail), 45kg-45kg-45kg, 50-kg-50kg-50kg or something else again?
Thanks
brb_gone_gym
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you can only do 2 or 3 sessions you ought to hit a lot more compounds than that tells you to. No squats or deadlifts. If you could only do legs once a week for one exercise it should be squats.
You'd be better on a push pull routine or starting strength I would say. I'm no expert but you should maybe take a look at the stickies on here. I'm sure there's something for people who can only lift twice a week or at least nothing that high volume.
shaun12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by brb_gone_gym)
If you can only do 2 or 3 sessions you ought to hit a lot more compounds than that tells you to. No squats or deadlifts. If you could only do legs once a week for one exercise it should be squats.
You'd be better on a push pull routine or starting strength I would say. I'm no expert but you should maybe take a look at the stickies on here. I'm sure there's something for people who can only lift twice a week or at least nothing that high volume.
I thought i'd get this response. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have a free weight barbell (only a smith machine) and i'm tied down to it for a while so those aren't really viable options
rattyryan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not a fan tbh. Have a look at the full body routine i chucked someone on the Gym Workout Regimes post.
If you can stick in a 3rd session in a week then just make up your own for that session. Compounds for Legs Chest Shoulders Back then isolation for bi's tri's etc. Loads of exercises to choose from. Full body routines are simple. I saw good gaines doing full body 3 times a week...then switched up rep ranges and weights. That was like a year then eventually hit a plateau. Doing 5 day split now.

Just read your latest reply...get some dumbells ! Do it at home
shaun12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by rattyryan)
Just read your latest reply...get some dumbells ! Do it at home
The gym has some dumbells but they only go upto ~26kg each which isn't really enough for any exercise except biceps, triceps and shoulders.
Surely if I wanted to squat or deadlift i'd want dumbells that go considerably higher?
rattyryan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well thats 52kg. Theres plenty you can do. Dumbell squats...incline bench...straight leg deadlift...weighted dips/pull ups etc
Basically near enough anything you can do with a bar you can do with those dumbells. And people usually lift less weight with dumbells. So flat benching 52kg on dumbells would be like you doing 60kg with a barbell
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.82%
No I haven't decided yet (41)
20.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.57%

Watched Threads