UK recession deepens! Watch

rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18977084

Well done George! What a smashing job you're doing! :rolleyes:

Edit: yes i hate the tories and the coalition! Labour FTW :woo: Come on labour, you can do it! I'm voting you in the next election .
jesusandtequila
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Other than electricity & gas (boosted by cold) biggest positive contribution to GDP figure came from "government and other services" (0.3%)

Yeah, it's all down to the government spending cuts. Herp derp.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be fair, I would probably do a worse job than the chancellor, but it would be nice if the people as a whole could have a say about what they think matters.
A7d8i6l
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not just a recession it's a double dip recession and all George Osborne and the coalition of millionaires can think about is quantative easing!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by A7d8i6l)
It's not just a recession it's a double dip recession and all George Osborne and the coalition of millionaires can think about is quantative easing!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
don't forget the tax cuts for the very wealthy. Some genius idea that was. Whilst us poor people suffer in the gutter. :congrats:
AverageExcellence
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its all down to exposure from the Eurozone, Spending and cash injection has already been done in the billions in the USA and theyre still not in an entirely good shape, not to mention the late labour government did it during 2008 and it did no good, just to kick the can down the road. Its a necessary evil to have austerity to brace for the worse impacts of the likely possibility of greece dropping out and spain going under. We need to jump ship and allign with the anglosphere + commonwealth
ThatPerson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I also feel that however slight, the weather has had some impact on the economy, as I believe the weather directly influences public mood, which in turn influences spending and when they want to go out with their friends to shopping centres, theme parks, cinemas, etc.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThatPerson)
I also feel that however slight, the weather has had some impact on the economy, as I believe the weather directly influences public mood, which in turn influences spending and when they want to go out with their friends to shopping centres, theme parks, cinemas, etc.
i'm not convinced. I blame the tory led coalition outright
jesusandtequila
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
i'm not convinced. I blame the tory led coalition outright
So what have they done wrong?

(There's many things, I just wish to know where you'd change things).
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by jesusandtequila)
(There's many things, I just wish to know where you'd change things).
Raised the tuition fees to £9000 a year, tax cut from 50% to 45% for highest paid people in the country, umm....made length of parliament from 4 years to 5 years so we'll be stuck with them for another year! :hmmm:
jesusandtequila
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Raised the tuition fees to £9000 a year, tax cut from 50% to 45% for highest paid people in the country, umm....made length of parliament from 4 years to 5 years so we'll be stuck with them for another year! :hmmm:
Now which of these are meant to have caused the double dip?
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Now which of these are meant to have caused the double dip?
now you didn't say that in your original question now did you?
jesusandtequila
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
now you didn't say that in your original question now did you?
Well you said you blamed them outright - so I'm wondering what they've done to cause it, I thought that was obvious from the context.
Endless Blue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unfortunately the OP doesn't really seem to know too much about it. But a more apt question might be, what do you think Gideon is doing right?
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Well you said you blamed them outright - so I'm wondering what they've done to cause it, I thought that was obvious from the context.
you figured wrong then. I cba exchanging messages with you. You're annoying. Bye bye
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benpearson1)
Unfortunately the OP doesn't really seem to know too much about it. But a more apt question might be, what do you think Gideon is doing right?
The name is George.
jesusandtequila
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benpearson1)
Not much, to be honest. He's increasing taxes while keeping spending constant, keeps over-regulating the economy. I mean, he's increased the personal allowance...and I suppose he's increasing spending by less than some others.

It's more that the very things people complain he's doing are the things he needs to do but isn't.
jesusandtequila
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you figured wrong then. I cba exchanging messages with you. You're annoying. Bye bye
I love deeply intelligent debate with people like you.
. . .
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
**** sake. What the hell is George and Dave playing at. Let me guess the reason for this is the massive debt they inherited? No **** you were bought in to help the economy not complain. Or is it the eurozone ate the recovery excuse?
pr0view
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
don't forget the tax cuts for the very wealthy. Some genius idea that was. Whilst us poor people suffer in the gutter. :congrats:
Didn't that increase tax revenue? Gordon Brown introduced the 50p tax rate because he knew the Tories would immediately scrap it as it doesn't make any economical sense and then they could use the usual "Tories tax cuts for rich" bull****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads