I live most of my day on the computer Watch

Xamanus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Realizing I spend most of my day on laptop... All my uni work is done on my laptop, i hate going the library unless its group meetings. Im a day trader at stock market so most of time im trading shares from my laptop. Also my laptop is my entertainment box, I watch movies / play games.

My schedule - Morning / afternoon lectures. If not lectures im busy in the stock market ( which is on my laptop. )

Evening - Gym, Meet friends etc

Night - 10 ish, follow up with the stock market / go clubbing / watch a movie / games.

Averagely i have been spending 10 hours a day on my laptop. How bad is this for me? How do i improve this, any suggestions? Are there people like me?
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xamanus)
Realizing I spend most of my day on laptop... All my uni work is done on my laptop, i hate going the library unless its group meetings. Im a day trader at stock market so most of time im trading shares from my laptop. Also my laptop is my entertainment box, I watch movies / play games.

My schedule - Morning / afternoon lectures. If not lectures im busy in the stock market ( which is on my laptop. )

Night - 10 ish, follow up with the stock market / go clubbing / watch a movie / games.

Averagely i have been spending 10 hours a day on my laptop. How bad is this for me? How do i improve this, any suggestions? Are there people like me?
I downloaded f.lux a while back to reduce eye strain and I've found it's helped.
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's probably really bad for your eyes if anything.
Stevo F
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

you can't really help it if you have to use it for trading shares/Uni work. All I'd say is try not to use it in your free time. Find something else to do to entertain yourself - I know it's not easy sometimes, I'm in a similar position...
Negaduck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
I downloaded f.lux a while back to reduce eye strain and I've found it's helped.
Testing it out for a couple of days.

It better be good, or i'll have your badge!
ilovecatsforlife
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

What laptop do you have? Sounds good if it can handle lots of things
Tortious
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Negaduck)
Testing it out for a couple of days.

It better be good, or i'll have your badge!
:hand:

If you haven't discovered it yet, you can right-click the taskbar icon and disable it for an hour. Once you've used it for three days you'll notice the difference.
f1mad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agreed .
f1mad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

If you haven't discovered it yet, you can right-click the taskbar icon and disable it for an hour. Once you've used it for three days you'll notice the difference.
Aye. I once turned it to "Disable for one hour" at 2AM, the difference in brightness is immense.
kka25
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by f1mad)
Agreed .
:eek:

and what is this? looks amazing; any problems so far?
Dog4444
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does this flux turn your screen to orange at night? O_O
f1mad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
:eek:

and what is this? looks amazing; any problems so far?
I've had it for about 6 months now with no problems. It's amazing and relieves the strain on your eyes, especially at night .
kka25
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by f1mad)
I've had it for about 6 months now with no problems. It's amazing and relieves the strain on your eyes, especially at night .
I'm getting more intrigued! But, what's the difference between this one and the normal brightness adjustment process that you do yourself?

... it's automatic? is that it?
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Another person happy with f.lux.
Luxray
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dog4444)
Does this flux turn your screen to orange at night? O_O
lol i was just wondering the same thing, i downloaded it and clicked on this sort of timeline graph and my screen went orangey for a second.
Luxray
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just installed it, what settings do you have on yours? or did you just leave it as it was?
f1mad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
I'm getting more intrigued! But, what's the difference between this one and the normal brightness adjustment process that you do yourself?

... it's automatic? is that it?
Yep, the brightness is set according to the time of day. Try it especially at night, the difference is massive.
Tortious
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Luxray)
I just installed it, what settings do you have on yours? or did you just leave it as it was?
I dunno, I largely did it with trial and error. :lol:

I gave it my location and then pretty much guessed at the tint colour. Daytime is somewhere in the fluorescent band, about a quarter of the way along (halfway from the very start of the spectrum), and then night is at the far left in the halogen band. I think when I set it up at night I disabled it completely and then just moved the slider to whatever was easiest on my eyes! :p:
Negaduck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Day 1 is nearing it's end and i'm relatively unimpressed.

I have a slight headache.
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm trying it now and bloody hell my entire computer screen is just yellow. It's like I'm viewing everything through a piss filled glass filter :lolwut:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads