Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Charlotte_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It could be OCD, lots of people are a little OCD!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, you have Slightly OCD Creature of Habit syndrome. I recommend you chill out a little with regards to keeping your stuff in order. On the habitual stuff - it's all good. On the Sofa/TV position thing - good on ya. Gotta optimise that viewing angle. :yep:
katyness
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sheldon? Is that you?
Whitechapel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have mild OCD
alittlepixiedust-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Raheem786)
The following things are things that I have noticed I do and so have friends and family. Do any of you have these weird habits? And is something "wrong" with me?

-The TV volume must always be an even number.
-My seat on a sofa will always be on the right hand side.
-On the sofa back rest part (ledge) I will put my gadgets on there. But in a specific order: iPod, Phone, Virgin TV Remote tilted on top of the Normal TV Remote. (that's weird)
-People who touch my stuff p*ss me of!
-If my stuff is moved, I will put everything back in it's assorted place.
-At school, my pencil case must be touching the edges of my contact book?! (That is very weird....) And my friends always nudge my pencil case out of place just to p*ss me of
-I have a specific dining table seat.
-The TV Angle is angled right towards me; anyone who moves it dies
-If you come in my room and don't close the door on your way in or out, you will also die

Do any of you guys have these weird habits?
Is something wrong with me? Am I just a control freak?
I think it sounds a little like a control freak/OCD habits but I do a few of these too! People who touch my stuff annoy me, and it infuriates me when people leave my door open when it was closed when they came into my room. The TV volume must be an even number or a multiple of 5 (I used to laugh at my boyfriend for doing this, but I picked it up eventually without even realising at first!), my seat on the sofa and dining table will always be the same one, I will move anyone that sits in it.. And if my stuff is moved even slightly from it's place, I will have to get up and put it back in the correct position and angle. So I do quite a few of these Never had an issue noticing the angle of my tele!
Why Hello There
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my opinion you have CDO

It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The following things are things that I have noticed I do and so have friends and family. Do any of you have these weird habits? And is something "wrong" with me?

-The TV volume must always be an even number.
This one is actually quite common.

-My seat on a sofa will always be on the right hand side.
Not sure, but right-hand-side with anything is typically more common than left-hand-side.

-On the sofa back rest part (ledge) I will put my gadgets on there. But in a specific order: iPod, Phone, Virgin TV Remote tilted on top of the Normal TV Remote. (that's weird)
If it's in order of personal value (e.g. would expect iPod and phone to come first) and then order of greatest need, then that's also pretty common.

-People who touch my stuff p*ss me of!
That's understandable. Possible sign of OCD or related.

-If my stuff is moved, I will put everything back in it's assorted place.
Possible sign of OCD or related.

-At school, my pencil case must be touching the edges of my contact book?! (That is very weird....) And my friends always nudge my pencil case out of place just to p*ss me of
Possible sign of OCD or related.

-I have a specific dining table seat.
This is common.

-The TV Angle is angled right towards me; anyone who moves it dies
Fairly common, more so when on your own. If with family/guests, then possible sign of OCD or related.

-If you come in my room and don't close the door on your way in or out, you will also die
Possible sign of OCD or related. Though getting annoyed at people for not shutting the door (living room and bedroom mostly) is not unheard of.

Do any of you guys have these weird habits?
Is something wrong with me? Am I just a control freak?
If you experience feelings of aggression/extreme uncomfort/anxiety/panic/depression etc. when something is not in a particular pattern or sequence (e.g. someone messes it up) and you think it's a problem, then visit your GP, could be something e.g. mental health problem.
alexmagpie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If these things are not happening, do you get repeated, intrusive thoughts until you rectify them? Does doing this provide relief?

If so, you may have a mild OCD - but unless it's intruding upon your ability to lead a good quality of life, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most people do things like this to a degree.
gridlock
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Name:  bazinga.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  69.8 KB
alexmagpie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They don't affect me that much. But yes, I do sometimes get thoughts to rectify them but no a lot because I usually just rectify straight away.
A lot of psychiatric disorders have brackets for the less severe phenotypes (for example, you can show aspects of schizophrenic behaviour without have schizophrenia). You might fall into one of these. Or you might just be a bit of a neat freak. Either way - if it starts becoming detrimental to your quality of life, see a doctor. If not, I imagine you're fine.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional
suzie90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have this weird habit of counting stairs whenever I'm climbing or going down the staircases. IS that weird??
username818763
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not OCD, he is a perfectionist :cool:
petal1991
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
most if not all of the things you listed are just normal. who doesn't get annoyed when someone leaves the door open?!
lolipanda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lots of people have small habits like that. but if it genuinely disturbs you when everything isnt perfect as you said in the OP, you might have a problem. otherwise i wouldn't worry about it!

for me, the volume on the TV definitely has to be specific otherwise it bothers me: for example, 9, 10, and 12 is fine but 11, 13, and 14 are not whereas 15 is, etc, etc.... xD it's weird but its just a little quirk
suzie90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just thought of another one I do

The pavement steps i step on cannot be cracked and I also count the cars as we drive by to make sure that there is an even amount on both sides.
Yeah true. If the pavement steps are cracked & of odd number, I get disappointed but still count and climb anyway:rolleyes:

Also, I like to spell words in my head while tapping my feet (first right, then left) and find out whether it ends evenly. I know the words are even numbers when the last letter ends on left.

I like this quirk of mine
the golden god
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not the only one but it's these little quirky things that make everyone unique, for me: the table mats must be parallel to the table, the table must be parallel to the pattern on the carpet, the rug must stick out equal amounts past the fireplace, the tv remote has a specific spot on the table, my id card for exams has to be on the right hand corner of the desk in line with it but not overlapping, the pencils & pens have a specific position next to the ruler and the same for the calculator, knives and forks must be pointing straight and any pictures hanging from walls must be straight.

If any of these things are slightly out of place it's constantly on my mind to the point where I can't sleep or focus!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.03%
No (234)
75.97%

Watched Threads