Scotland to Legalize Gay Marriage! Watch

The Fez
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mobi...usaolp00000008

"Gay Marriage will be made legal in Scotland, the SNP government announced on Wednesday morning, after the Scottish government finally agreed the framework for legislation."

"The expectation is that a draft Bill will be published later this year, but the SNP government has indicated that a UK-wide change to the Equality Act would be needed before any changes could be passed into law."

Thoughts?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
AmyJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
About time!
The Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmyJ)
About time!
Too right!

The Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by cfizzle)
Very proud of my gay-embracing wee country right now
Well it's not officially passed as a law yet, but at least they're acknowledging it. Hope the hype spreads all over the UK so the equal marriage act would accelerate faster.

kat2pult
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's shameful that it's taken until 2012 for this to happen.

I personally cannot even fathom how someone could have an issue with people being gay (firstly, and secondly) and wanting to get married.
adsyrah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This news made my day!

I live in England and really hope Scotland lead the way for the rest of the UK with this.

:awesome:
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee s!

:party: :ymca:

:awesome: Amazing news!
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
It's shameful that it's taken until 2012 for this to happen.

I personally cannot even fathom how someone could have an issue with people being gay (firstly, and secondly) and wanting to get married.
That's what we get from living in a country that hasn't separated the church from the state.
Francium
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go Scotland! :congrats: :dance: :danceboy:
Emaemmaemily
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The rest of the UK are set to do this by 2015. Good.
This thread does already exist though
Liam6993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hopefully the rest of the UK will follow in Scotland's footsteps very soon.
The Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
That's what we get from living in a country that hasn't separated the church from the state.
To be honest, the UK is probably far more advanced than the US. And the US is supposed to be secular. Yet the main reasons of not allowing gay marriage are religious reasons. Silly.

MereBeing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Woohoo! More reason to love Scotland!
The Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
The rest of the UK are set to do this by 2015. Good.
This thread does already exist though
Oops, sorry. I'm on my mobile and I didn't see it. Too exciting of news not to share! :awesome:

ForKicks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, there are certainly a plethora of nice marriage venues in Scotland. Good move by Scotland as they will bring in cash from couples across the UK and Europe. Oh, and it is a step in the right direction for gay marriage!
adsyrah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ForKicks)
Well, there are certainly a plethora of nice marriage venues in Scotland. Good move by Scotland as they will bring in cash from couples across the UK and Europe. Oh, and it is a step in the right direction for gay marriage!
I'm just wondering what it means for English couples who get married in Scotland - will it be recognised as a marriage when they're in England?

Loads of kinks to iron out unless the UK government pull their collective fingers out and table a bill at the same time as Scotland.
Emaemmaemily
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adsyrah)
I'm just wondering what it means for English couples who get married in Scotland - will it be recognised as a marriage when they're in England?

Loads of kinks to iron out unless the UK government pull their collective fingers out and table a bill at the same time as Scotland.
I don't know how it will work with being recognised, but the UK in general is set to have it leglised by 2015 (I think it's 2014 for England), so the cogs are moving.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just wait a second here: we've had the Scottish Government say it will introduce a Bill in the fairly distant future. It hasn't even been written, never mind handed to the Scottish Parliament yet.

It's predicted it will pass, but ultimately it's a free vote and - even for the most ardent supporters of same-sex marriage - consent of MSPs will depend on the detail and content of the Bill.

(Original post by adsyrah)
Gay marriages in other jurisdictions are recognised in the UK at present as civil partnerships.

In fact, the Scottish administration recognised that the UK Government's proposed Bill for England and Wales could potentially take effect before the Scottish one.
soolo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Top comment on bbc
Surprised this even gets a mention. Just as surprised as I am to read such hatred against people who choose to be gay.

Good luck to them that they can rise above it.
:facepalm:
Perseveranze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only 60% were in favour (in some poll), but 40% (which is still a huge margin) were not.

Sorry to hear I guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads