Advice for getting vac schemes/training contracts next year Watch

Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi Guys,

I am currently about to enter my third year at university, where I am currently reading for a degree in History. I finished with 67% in year 2, which though is good, i think i could have done a lot better- My general profile so far is;

International Baccalaureate- 36 points overall (after winter session resit, previous total was 32)

Degree at York, low first in year 1, 67% year 2- due to one exam performance , currently still predicted a first overall.

Achievements include : setting up a law society in the 6th form, elected onto the student senate at university, awarded a scholarship to study at Hong Kong university during summer 2012 (currently nearing completion), member and events co-ordinator on the debate team, member of the judo team and freelance writer for the main campus newspapers and publications.

I've had some legal work experience on high street firms. Also worked in brand consultancy and as a historical researcher at the British Museum's levantine archaeology department.

I didn't get any vac scheme offers last year, so i was wondering what might have gone wrong in my application, or what could be done to improve it? I've been told that next year i should get more involved with the university law society, and perhaps write a few papers for some law journals?

all help app
suffocation1992
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You sound as though you have a very enviable CV.

~ Try to do some Open Days at commercial law firms as evidence of your 'commitment to law'. They can be used in the work experience section of vac scheme or training contract application forms.

~ Volunteering would look good.

~ Try to get a job - even a summer job! It doesn't look as though you have ever worked in the real world - some law firms won't care but many will like to see candidates who have.
yl_llb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Basically, work very hard and try to get the most prestigious experience you can get.
Phantom_X
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by suffocation1992)
You sound as though you have a very enviable CV.

~ Try to do some Open Days at commercial law firms as evidence of your 'commitment to law'. They can be used in the work experience section of vac scheme or training contract application forms.

~ Volunteering would look good.

~ Try to get a job - even a summer job! It doesn't look as though you have ever worked in the real world - some law firms won't care but many will like to see candidates who have.
I usually work as a private tutor during my studies, and have worked for about 5 years (prior to university) working in a general grocers store...
suffocation1992
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phantom_X)
I usually work as a private tutor during my studies, and have worked for about 5 years (prior to university) working in a general grocers store...
Then add it to your CV!
h-g-1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Speculating aside, it is very difficult to say where you went wrong re: applications without actually looking at your application.

From what I read, you have great extra-currics and interesting academic options (e.g. studying abroad) etc. 2:2 is 1st year is not that big a deal considering you've pulled it up to a decent 2:1 2nd year. Therefore, I suspect that you may not be articulating yourself as well as you could or not answering these competency questions as well.

Again, difficult to say without actually seeing your apps. If you want someone to have a goose over them though, PM me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads