Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What level does this teaching course prepare you to teach at e.g. GCSE, A-Level..?

    • Thread Starter

    I am considering doing a teaching course in my year out of study before going to university and I have found City and Guilds ''Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector'' which is a Level 4 qualification. Here it is:


    It does not say what kind of level this prepares to teach at and I have no idea what the 'lifelong learning sector' is. If I were to do this course then would I be qualified to teach A-Level Maths after graduating from university (doing Maths)?

    Any recommendations on 1 year teaching courses that would be necessary to teach at Level 3/4 would be nice (that only requires GCSEs and A-Levels)

    Thank you for your time.

    You're doing maths at uni, but I think you'd still have to do a pgce as well, so I'm not sure what the point of this is unless its for teaching assistants or more like an access course.

    The PTLLS is the first stage for those planning to teach in the Lifelong Learning sector (post 16). It is a 10 week course which gives you some insight into teaching adults before commencing a full Diploma (DTLLS) which is a 2 year p/t course equivalent to a CertEd or PGCE.
    You would be able to work in an FE or 6th Form College and teach A level Maths but you would be paid as unqualified until you complete DTLLS.

    I have PTLLS qualifications and would like to do dtlls but how do I go about getting teaching experience, I graduated 2010 in Applied Information Technology, would I have to do a top up in the subject before embarking on dtlls,
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2014
TSR Support Team
How many mugs of tea do you drink a day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.