Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What level does this teaching course prepare you to teach at e.g. GCSE, A-Level..? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing a teaching course in my year out of study before going to university and I have found City and Guilds ''Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector'' which is a Level 4 qualification. Here it is:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/69108.html
    http://www.derby-college.ac.uk/index...ord=&ItemId=53

It does not say what kind of level this prepares to teach at and I have no idea what the 'lifelong learning sector' is. If I were to do this course then would I be qualified to teach A-Level Maths after graduating from university (doing Maths)?

Any recommendations on 1 year teaching courses that would be necessary to teach at Level 3/4 would be nice (that only requires GCSEs and A-Levels)

Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    You're doing maths at uni, but I think you'd still have to do a pgce as well, so I'm not sure what the point of this is unless its for teaching assistants or more like an access course.

ReputationRep:
    The PTLLS is the first stage for those planning to teach in the Lifelong Learning sector (post 16). It is a 10 week course which gives you some insight into teaching adults before commencing a full Diploma (DTLLS) which is a 2 year p/t course equivalent to a CertEd or PGCE.
    You would be able to work in an FE or 6th Form College and teach A level Maths but you would be paid as unqualified until you complete DTLLS.

ReputationRep:
    I have PTLLS qualifications and would like to do dtlls but how do I go about getting teaching experience, I graduated 2010 in Applied Information Technology, would I have to do a top up in the subject before embarking on dtlls,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.