Macromolecular
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

Going uni this term and currently just turned 18 in April. Following student finance, I applied to numerous banks (natwest, cooperative, RBS etc.) as I wasn't happy with my young persons account on Barclay.

Unexpectedly, the rejections came in about a week later and my dad got me to check my credit score.

My credit score is poor and 698 and I have no positive factors but one negative.

Under the negative it states;

You have no successfully settled non-mail order accounts.

A successfully settled account is one which you have fully paid and closed in line with the terms of the agreement or to the lenders satisfaction.Settling accounts is likely to be viewed more positively by most lenders. Keep in mind lenders will also like to see what active credit limits are available to you.

After searching on the net, I can't find what exactly this means...and need it explaining to me in simple terms...what exactly does this mean? What can I do from here to increase my score? Any one else experience this?

Many thanks
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
got no idea what it means... read the following though on improving your credit score

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loa...-score#improve
Radio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you on the Electoral Register? If not that's a good way to begin bringing your score up.

I haven't ever been rejected for anything but I'm trying to increase my score at the moment with an overdraft and a credit card that I use responsibly. Just thought I'd throw that in there, though I'm not sure how helpful that will be.
alexmagpie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Having lots of credit checks within a short space of time can negatively affect your credit score. Although you would need some reason to fail the first one, I suppose.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Baring in mind your age and lack of credit history that would probably be the reason you got declined also the fact you applied for several different accounts as each one comes up as a 'hard credit pull' on your history and drops it by about 10point if i remember rightly as it will imply youre credit hungry, generally speaking something lenders view as risky.
If you want to get it back up set up a few direct debits and get a credit building card give it a year your credit score should be peachy again, these things take time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed