Touchscreens, Touchsmarts - what do you think? Watch

Paladin of Derp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'll be buying a new computer soon, and I wanted to know what the consensus is on the new touchscreen computers.

I'm a gamer, so would love a computer that is powerful, and lacks the unnecessary aesthetics or gadgets. Do these touchsmarts cut it?
jordanosborn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe touchscreen computers at the moment are quite a novelty item. I don't believe there is much benefit in having one due to lack of proper uses. But this may change soon as they become more ubiquitous. What you'll find though is the touchscreen computers will generally be less powerful than similar computers without touch screens for the same price. I think unless you genuinely need one I wouldn't bother right now. I believe that you'll probably end up not using it as much as you thought you would. I'd buy a normal computer then wait until touchscreen displays have matured and there is lots of software available that utilise them and they have come down in price and buy one then.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Paladin of Derp)
I'll be buying a new computer soon, and I wanted to know what the consensus is on the new touchscreen computers.

I'm a gamer, so would love a computer that is powerful, and lacks the unnecessary aesthetics or gadgets. Do these touchsmarts cut it?
If your gamer, especially for PC, than you shouldn't consider a touchscreen pc, as they are a gimmick, Windows 8 has been created for it, but you won't get anything out of gaming for it..........on top of that, their specs are poor for gaming.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's an unnecessary fad. It's all well and good tapping on a portable device you can hold in your hand(s) with just your thumb(s), but nobody I know would enjoy sitting there with their ar outstretched pawing at a display sat in front of them. Lack of functionality and precision coupled with increasing fatigue with use does not make for a pleasant computing experience in my books.

Leap Motion looks a hell of a lot more promising in terms of escaping the mouse and keyboard.
mangoh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The above two geniuses nailed this thread.

OP real gamers wouldn't even ask this question. Don't go for touchscreen.

Why? Not many apps support it, it's tiresome and for a far cheaper price (leap-motion looks the deal)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads