student accommodation landlord not returning deposite. Watch

abdult92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi,
i rented out a student accomodation (mid september 2011 toend of june) , which was supposed to be emptied around end of june. but i returned my keys mid june as i was travelling abroad,
i first asked to return the keys mid may when i finished my uni, at first he agreed that he will come and check the room with me and there is no problem but when the time came nearer he said i need to give the keys into office and they will check the room at a alter date....

i got abit late so wasn't able to delvier the keys hence some one delivered them for me around mid/end of june even tho my contract ends in july..

then i was told (in writing) i will receive my deposit in 3-5 working days which have passed and when i emailed them i was told its not 3-5 working days its 10-14 working days... and they were complete beginning of last week and now i am not receiving any replies to my emails, i called there office and spoke to some one on friday and he said he would pass the message onto the correct person to reply to you, and i still have not received any email.
and i gave them a call to ask about this and spoke to the same person again and at first he assumed i was some one else and was nice and calm and after he found out it was me, he started getting angry and then cut the phone off...

the main question is, how long do they have to refund my deposite? what do i do as they are not replying and cutting the phone off?
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the deposit should have been held by a third party, and you should have been notified by the third party that they had the received the deposit shortly after you paid it... try contact them
abdult92
Rep:
?
i wasn't notified in reagrds to any third party?

at the time of contract i asked for my deposit to be held with one of the government schemes and they said no, because it will cause trouble for me as i have to wait weeks after moving out of the property to receive my deposit back,
but after a couple of days and me saying i wont take this room unless deposit is held in a scheme they agreed for it to be held in one of the government schemes but i didn't receive any confirmation i was told its all processed by the agency and i wont receive anything
didgeridoo12uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by abdult92)
i wasn't notified in reagrds to any third party?

at the time of contract i asked for my deposit to be held with one of the government schemes and they said no, because it will cause trouble for me as i have to wait weeks after moving out of the property to receive my deposit back,
but after a couple of days and me saying i wont take this room unless deposit is held in a scheme they agreed for it to be held in one of the government schemes but i didn't receive any confirmation i was told its all processed by the agency and i wont receive anything
well the government would be the third party in this case, and you definitely should have received confirmation of some sort.

If its possible I'd go round to the landlord in person and see what they say when they cant just hang up the phone
abdult92
Rep:
?
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
well the government would be the third party in this case, and you definitely should have received confirmation of some sort.

If its possible I'd go round to the landlord in person and see what they say when they cant just hang up the phone
the way they are acting and me not receiving any confirmation i dont think they actually used a scheme? and well i am abroad till about start of october wouldent be possible to go in person
didgeridoo12uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by abdult92)
the way they are acting and me not receiving any confirmation i dont think they actually used a scheme? and well i am abroad till about start of october wouldent be possible to go in person
yeah sounds fishy

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/property-la...sit-scheme.htm

What should the tenant do if they do not receive details of the tenant deposit scheme?

If the landlord or agent has not provided the tenant with the above information and has not protected the deposit within 14 days, the tenant should apply to the county court. They will order that the landlord or agent either puts the deposit in one of the schemes or pays it back to the tenant.

Only if the landlord or agent has not protected the deposit may the landlord or agent be fined by the county court. In this situation the landlord may have to pay the tenant compensation equivalent to three times the amount of the deposit.

Additionally, if the landlord or agent has not protected the deposit and supplied the correct information within 14 days then they cannot use the ‘shorthold ground’ to evict the tenants. So they are unable to evict tenants supplying no reason but giving minimum two months notice and getting a court order, as the landlords do.

What should the tenant do if there is a dispute?

The landlord can only deduct certain costs from the tenants’ deposit and this does not include normal wear and tear. It is up to them to show how they will have to spend money because of the tenants’ actions during the tenancy e.g. paying to repair damage. If the tenant owes rent this is an example of the landlord losing out financially and reasonable grounds for keeping some of the deposit. If the tenant requests it, the landlord should be able to show a detailed breakdown of the costs for which they will use the deposit money.

The tenant deposit scheme that the landlord has chosen will offer a free service to resolve disputes so get in touch with the scheme if you disagree with the amount of deposit the landlord has held onto. This service is the alternate dispute resolution service (ADR) and if both the landlord and the tenant agree to use it, they cannot then apply to the courts if dissatisfied with the result. If the ADR service is not used for whatever reason then the dispute will normally go to the county court.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (142)
61.21%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
21.55%
Yes but I might change my mind (40)
17.24%

Watched Threads