Dad hasn't been paid enough - help writing letter Watch

Clare~Bear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Two-pay-days ago, my dad didn't recieve any money for the call-outs he went to. He works for the local NHS mental health department as an engineer. he works 8-4 mon-fri but also has to go on-call some days, when no-ones at work to fix it.

He keeps his time sheets and it's nearly £300 that he's owed!

They said that he would get the extra money last month. But he didn't. He was paid for on-calls he did that month, but not that ~£300 he was missing from the previous. Today, he's recieved his next pay-slip and he's still missing that money.

He's going to write an angry e-mail to his boss and his bosses boss! But . . . to be honest his literacy isn't great. Has anyone got any ideas as to certain phrases or even sentences we could use? I haven't written a formal letter/email in a while let alone an angry one! Plus what kind of tone to use. He did politely talk to his boss the first time the money was missing.

It's annoying but we can live without that money. But just because he's not a single parent in a rented flat that needs that money else they'll get evicted, it still doesn't make it right.

Sazzy890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest, I wouldn't go in all guns blazing just yet. I can understand being annoyed but it may just be a genuine mistake due to poor administration. When he emails them he should just specify the hours that have been worked, point out that the last two payslips have still not accounted for those hours (they're just payment for his regular hours) and therefore he is still owed money. Ask them kindly to pay that money to him as soon as possible (state specifically the hours worked and the amount he is expecting to be paid). Thank them and tell them that you hope to hear from them soon. To be honest, sometimes it's better to be polite as they're more willing to sort things out quicker if you treat them with respect :yep: I can totally understand being angry though!
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Ta, He did talk to his boss politely when it wasn't there the first time. But there's been two pay-days since then. And he's still not got the money. And this is from work done in mid April - early May!
Sazzy890
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's worth making a more sternly worded but polite message again. Don't make it too long, just make it clear that the money has no been paid, you've told him this before and it's still not been paid and that it'd be appreciated if the money was paid as soon as possible.

I've had similar problems when I did a job ages ago where my boss used to take weeks to pay me and I'd have to nudge him several times to get the money. :sadnod:
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Ok, ta

:sigh:
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could use the following template, you need to fill in the square brackets:

Dear [name]

I am writing about a payment issue.

On [date] I did [number of hours work] [nature of work]. I have submitted my timesheets and I am owed [exact amount]. The money should have been paid in my May payslip.

I was told by [name of person] that I would be paid for this work in my June payslip. However, although my June payslip included payment for on-calls completed in June, I have not still been paid for the work done on [date].

As you will appreciate, there has already been a considerable delay in making payment. Please could you ensure that I am paid for the work in this month's payslip. If there are any problems, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Kind regards,

[your dad's name]
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
Thanks guys. He's written it, although I'm not sure if he's sent it yet.

Sazzy and JP, can they only pay him on pay-day? Cos this would mean waiting until the end of August!?!?

Or in certain circumstances such as this, can they send him another pay slip ASAP/ send the money to his bank account with an apology letter that also says x amount has been put into your account. ???
Sazzy890
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clare~Bear)
Thanks guys. He's written it, although I'm not sure if he's sent it yet.

Sazzy and JP, can they only pay him on pay-day? Cos this would mean waiting until the end of August!?!?

Or in certain circumstances such as this, can they send him another pay slip ASAP/ send the money to his bank account with an apology letter that also says x amount has been put into your account. ???
I don't think they would have to but that might be their policy. However, as they've cocked up twice in a row, they may just pay that straight away. It all depends on how the company does things.
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
It's the NHS . . . .
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
BUMP, He still hasn't been paid that money! What should he do?
Fires
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's the NHS . . . .
Is he working direct for the NHS, or through an agency or company? That would have some bearing. If it's the NHS directly, it will be something to do with bureacratic error (it's unusual for someone like them to not pay - the other possibility if it's them is that there is some dispute over the work quality or something) - if it's an agency or similar, then it's a straightforward county court small claim.

If it's the NHS, you should really try to find the right person to talk to and ask for an explanation. There must be a normal payment route and someone who deals with that. Have you asked them what the problem is?

If it's private, ditto, but a warning letter will help you build a case, as already suggested.
Clare~Bear
Rep:
?
He works directly for the nhs.
Battenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Make the message firm but without being rude as that would likely make issues much worse. It could be that one of his bosses simply forgot after being told the first time which would explain the long gap without being paid. Don't let it seem that you're getting worked up, just make it clear money is owed for work done and that you have already mentioned this issue previously. If it still doesn't get sorted then maybe make more of a fuss and make it clear how annoying it is and possibly consider legal action although there's no reason to do any of that until you are sure this is more than a simple accident.
Fires
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He works directly for the nhs.
He needs to find out what the problem really is. Either they are not paying for some definite reason or it is simply lost in the system. Has he been in touch with his manager for the job and has he had any complaints about the work?
Pastaferian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Two-pay-days ago, my dad didn't recieve any money for the call-outs he went to. He works for the local NHS mental health department as an engineer. he works 8-4 mon-fri but also has to go on-call some days, when no-ones at work to fix it.

He keeps his time sheets and it's nearly £300 that he's owed!

They said that he would get the extra money last month. But he didn't. He was paid for on-calls he did that month, but not that ~£300 he was missing from the previous. Today, he's recieved his next pay-slip and he's still missing that money.

He's going to write an angry e-mail to his boss and his bosses boss! But . . . to be honest his literacy isn't great. Has anyone got any ideas as to certain phrases or even sentences we could use? I haven't written a formal letter/email in a while let alone an angry one! Plus what kind of tone to use. He did politely talk to his boss the first time the money was missing.

It's annoying but we can live without that money. But just because he's not a single parent in a rented flat that needs that money else they'll get evicted, it still doesn't make it right.

I did vacation work in a payroll department. It was complete chaos!

The raw info for unpredictable payments (expenses, callouts, etc) needs to be given to the Payroll Department some time before a cut-off date when payments are made. Salaries are often paid BEFORE the end of the month, whereas I suspect it would be normal for expenses and variable payments (like on-call) to be paid at the end of the month AFTER they are incurred (because they are submitted at the end of the month, and approved and passed on to the payroll peeps early in the following month). So callouts for June would be paid during or at the end of July, those for July in August, etc. That is what happened in the payroll department I worked in, but others may work differently. Check that your dad really is being paid late, as opposed to not understanding the system.

His union may be able to help or give advice, if he is a member (he cannot be the first to face such problems). Otherwise, how about this....

Dear XXXXXX

In recent months I have been suffering financial difficulties because on-call payments have not been made to me when they should have been. I have raised this verbally with XXXXX but the situation has still not been resolved.

Here is a table showing the number of callouts, number of hours, expected payment, actual payment. These are based on my timesheets (attached).

Month.....#Callouts.....#Hours.. ...Expected payment.....Actual payment (*)
xxxxx.....xxxxx.....xxxxx.....xx xxx.....xxxxx
Total.....xxxxx.....xxxxx.....xx xxx.....xxxxx

I would be grateful if:

1. The missing payment(s) can be made to me immediately. The total amount currently owed to me is £XXX.XX

2. The procedures for approving and paying on-call payments can be improved, so that I will be paid promptly in future.

I would also be grateful if you would confirm in writing that you will reimburse me for bank charges and any other unnecessary expenses that I incur <insert "have incurred" instead?> when payments that are due to me are not paid on time.

I have copied this to XXXXXX and XXXXXX, so that they understand the financial difficulties that I am experiencing.

Yours sincerely/yours faithfully

XXXXXX

Attachments: XXXXXX

(*) Modify the table to be in accordance with how he gets paid. Fx, does he get a retainer for being on-call at certain times, plus additional payments for each callout he attends and/or for each hour he spends attending to a callout? The table needs to show all the raw info.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.24%
Not great so far... (227)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.21%

Watched Threads