Do you like your name? Watch

Ra Ra Ra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I grew up with a somewhat unusual name (not as unusual as Octavius - which seems to be making its rounds on namesites such as Nameberry and Mumsnet - but most people had never even heard of it, as it's considered an 'old lady's name') and got so much slack for it growing up, moreso than most people. I absolutely hated it. Its only redeeming feature was that no one else had it; but then, there was a reason for that. What was worse was that I had no middle name to fall back on, and my name couldn't be shortened to a nickname. I thought it ugly and 'clunky' sounding, and always resented the fact that my mother had been so close to naming me these other beautiful names that I felt would suit me much better.

I've since changed my name to one that users on Nameberry and Mumsnet would hate (one syllable, the horror!), and I feel so much relief now that I've changed it. My family probably won't be calling me by my new name anytime soon (most of them still call me by my old surname, despite it being eight years since I reverted back to the surname on my birth certificate), but it feels like such a weight off my shoulders whenever I see a letter addressed to me with my new name. I also get compliments about my name, something that never happened with my old name (instead, I'd get odd looks and comments like "Oh, what an, um, unusual name! How do you spell it?"), and it feels like my name. I always used to cringe whenever someone said my old name; it never felt like mine. On the other hand, my new name suits me much better, I find.

Anyway, rant over. Do you like your name? If not, did you learn to live with it or did you change it? Do you wish your parents had called you something else?

Koralyn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What was your original first name, if I may ask? I'm curious, haha.

On the subject of my own name (Chloe)... I'm 50:50. It seems to be a common name; there's nothing unusual about it, but then again it's nothing unique either.

I don't plan on changing it. If I did change it, I'd probably end up telling people my original name anyway out of habit, haha.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like my name. It's Natalie. Perfectly normal, quite pretty, nowt wrong with it. Nat is what I'm most used to but I don't mind either really. My dad calls me Naty, my mam calls me Na, most other people call me Nat, and "official" people call me Natalie. That's fine by me.

My middle names are more unusual - Jeanne Antonina, but I like them because they are slightly different (in this country anyway). Jeanne was my dad's mum's mum, and Antonina was my mum's mum.

I hope my kids will always like their names. Lydia Fay, Alexander Joshua, and Jason Matthew. I like their names. So far none of them has expressed any dislike for their names.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What is/was your name? I'm intrigued

I like my name "Peter" Not many people have it, which is a bonus and shortening it to "Pete" is fine by me

Tbh though, I'm rarely called by my name by friends... I have multiple nicknames which are used instead
ConstantlyStressed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My name's Violet, and I used to really, really hate it. People would lamely add an 'n' to make 'Violent', and as soon as A Series of Unfortunate Events blew up, I had people frequently asking me how my inventions were holding up, or whether Sunny had finally given up biting things -_-

But then I grew to like it. It's a little unusual, and I usually go by Vi.
ViceVersa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do indeed :yep:
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, trust me I hate it.

I am Half English and Half Cypriot and HATE my Greek surname with a passion (as well as my legal forename which no one ever uses, only use English variant), I intend on changing my name in the future legally and can't wait until I do.

I am keeping the name everyone calls me by "Andrew" and am changing my surname to "Blake". If I told you my surname now, it would take you only seconds to find out where I live my name is that unique...
_Shmiley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't really like my name, but I can't be bothered to change it, which means it can't bother me that much, Josie. My dad named me that because it's easy to spell and remember apparently, personally I think he did it to piss off my mum

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Johnmatthews
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOVE IT. Thats a cool name. I would be proud of it. You can always change it!!
chocolate buttons
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My name is Catherine. I don't mind it because I haven't met many Catherine's my age (18) that don't go by Katie.
steviemcg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hate my name such a homosexual name Stephen is. Stephen gatley, Stephen gay guy in scrubs, Stephen fry. Quite a homosexual name.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
illusiveX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest I like my name I find it kinda unique. It's Savvas
You can read my name backwards and still remain the same.. cool eh?
AndromedaLight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have mixed feeling about my name. I like the spelling though. Keri.
President Snow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My name (Richard) is alright. It is a bit boring, and has a shed-load of annoying short forms, but it isn't overly common. I wish I had a slightly more unusual name though.

My surname is more of a problem though. My parents could not agree on how the double-barrelled bit should work out, and the end result is the surname I prefer and use day to day (it is unusual, rather than my other, REALLY common surname) is technically a middle name. When I turn 18, I will change it to a double barrelled surname, and just use the bit I prefer day to day (which will annoy my father, but hay, his name is BORING and common!). But that will leave me with only one middle name, which seems a bit of a shame. I am quite used to having two now, even if one is a surname in disguise. Whatever move I make, some member of my family will be angry, but this is my name, and I am going to change it to what I want.
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ConstantlyStressed)
A Series of Unfortunate Events.
<3
username919394
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't really know if I do like it or not, I wouldn't change it though.
amylea_94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never particularly liked my name (amy-lea) but most people call me amy. A lot of people have said my name is pretty and unique but I'm still to be convinced haa :P

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
ConstantlyStressed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ToastyCoke)
<3
I'm guessing you like A Series of Unfortunate Events, and understood the references I made? I personally loved them.
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ConstantlyStressed)
I'm guessing you like A Series of Unfortunate Events, and understood the references I made? I personally loved them.
Hell to the YES.
ConstantlyStressed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ToastyCoke)
Hell to the YES.
Who's your favourite character?

I realize this conversation is straying away from this thread,haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads