Vanders18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am doing politics, chemistry, geography and Economics and I have no idea what I want to do. In my gap year I am going to take AS biology and chemistry is this a good idea? And can you please give me a hardness out of 10 for each subject I am doing (including in my gap year please) thanks in advance.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Slightly confused as to why you're doing chemistry A level and then chemistry AS in your gap year, but no, they aren't weak subjects.
Negaduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. They're strong A-levles. Politics may be viewed as slightly below the others but it's definitely not looked down upon.

Chemistry is pretty difficult, I struggled with it and dropped it after AS.
Economics is reatively easy, you just need to know how to structure essays and understand sme relatively simple economic concepts.

I have no experience of Politics or Geography A-levels. Neither of these even ran at my school due to how unpopular they were.
HotfireLegend
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Geography's considered a soft by some but personally, I don't see it as a soft. That's a fine set.

EDIT: Edited for clarification that I do NOT see Geog as a soft.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They aren't weak subjects but may form a weak combination, depending on what you decide to study at university. For instance, without maths you won't be able to study maths, engineering or the physical sciences and will be severely disadvantaged if you choose economics. This calls into question why you are studying chemistry. You seem to be trying to keep a lot of options open but, like many who do this, have probably closed more doors than you imagine.
Flyteryder
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HotfireLegend)
Geography's considered a soft by some but personally, I don't see it as a soft. That's a fine set.
No it's really not. It's on the Cambridge list of good A-Levels, and the very best universities like Oxbridge, LSE and UCL do degrees in Geography. They don't do degrees in things like Media and PE, and those subjects are on the lists that Cambridge and LSE don't like.
Vanders18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Sorry mean to put physics instead of biology

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
HotfireLegend
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flyteryder)
No it's really not. It's on the Cambridge list of good A-Levels, and the very best universities like Oxbridge, LSE and UCL do degrees in Geography. They don't do degrees in things like Media and PE, and those subjects are on the lists that Cambridge and LSE don't like.
I read on a BBC News report that the education secretaries (Gove, etc?) felt it was a soft. To be honest, I got rather mad at the report and Gove! I do NOT view Geog as a soft.
Flyteryder
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HotfireLegend)
I read on a BBC News report that the education secretaries (Gove, etc?) felt it was a soft. To be honest, I got rather mad at the report and Gove! I do NOT view Geog as a soft.
I'm glad you feel like that Sorry for snapping, I just don't like it when people say bad things about my geography A-Level. I now realise you weren't!
HotfireLegend
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flyteryder)
I'm glad you feel like that Sorry for snapping, I just don't like it when people say bad things about my geography A-Level. I now realise you weren't!
I did Geography A-Level too! I feel the same, lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads